Eastern Refinishing Inc - Services - Bathtub refinishing - Eastern Refinishing, Deerfield, OH troubing using service to get bathtub refinished

Posted on Monday, March 5th, 2001 at 12:00am CST by 201f5ced

Company: Eastern Refinishing Inc

Location: 1959 Knotman
DEERFIELD, OH, 44411, US

Category: Home, Garden

Business Reply

We here at Eastern Refinishing agree that what happened to this customer is totally unacceptable. That being said, she was refunded her payment in full once the truth became apparent.

Eastern Refinishing has been in business since 1971 and have over 125,000 satisfied customers. Now, with that being said, whenever you promote someone from within the organization you want to give them every chance at success.

Larry Oblisk was a refinisher for Eastern Refinishing for about 1 yr before being promoted to area supervisor. His job was to train new refinishers and maintain quality control throughout his area which was eastern Ohio.

Larry hired and trained Bill Keenan and then proceeded to go into business ON THE SIDE with Bill Keenan. Unbeknownst to us. These two fellows as we later found out would take the jobs from Eastern Refinishing, show up and just spray the tub with no preparation work. They would then have the payments made directly to themselves cash the checks and pocket the money.

We could not believe that people that we had taken into our confidence and had been to the owners home on many occasions would act in such a short sighted and dishonest manner.

These two same individuals then did the same thing to their own customers and were out of business within a few months.

When confronted with the evidence and when we tried to take action against these two individuals we were told by them, "so what, there is nothing you can do about it because we are a Canadian Based Company and this is classified a civil matter.

In closing, I would like to apologize to Ms. Costas and let the public know this will not happen again.

Sincerely, Charles Gayler

President Eastern Refinishing

RE: complaint on Eastern Refinishing Inc

I'm writing today to express my complete disgust over a company called Eastern Refinishing Inc I feel my input is valuable to everybody. The reason I chose to do business with them at that time was because I was attracted by there advertisements. I thought someone should know about it.

I'm quite furious about this matter

1 800 463-1879 They were Advertised in the Akron Beacon Journal (TV Guide section) October 9th of 2000 and is still advertised today, this company has in their Advertisement, “DON'T REPLACE YOUR OLD BATHTUB ...REGLAZE IT! Leading you to believe that your old bathtub will look new Below is a Journal of my experience with "Eastern Refinishing Inc" 10/9/2000 I called "Eastern Refinishing Inc" to find out more about reglazing our bathtub. I spoke to Paris. I explain to her I had an old tub that needed to be replaced and asked what is reglazing . She said the tub will look as if it was new at a fraction of the cost and time that it will take to replace a tub, that no walls will be damage as when the replace a tub and no plumbing will have to be replace either, Their technician are licensed and certified. It has a 5 year warranty, so if anything should go wrong with the bathtub they will come back and repair it, free of charge. She made an appointment for the following Monday 10/16/2000 for 9:00 AM and it should take around 4 hours to complete the job. She told me to have the bathroom cleaned up and the bath free of water, to take down any hanging shower curtains, and remove as much as possible from the bathroom so the tech will have a free working area. 10/16/200 at 9:00 AM 1st appointmentLarry came to REGLAZE the tub , He was suppose to be here at 9 am, I called at 10 and told them he did not come here at 9AM, they said he was running a little late and he will be here soon, I explained that I had an appointment for my son with the eye doctor and had to leave by 1:30, they said not to worry, that I could leave him here and he will finish up his work , and I wasn't needed to be here. He didn't get here till 12:30, I explained to

Larry that I had to go and I should be back around 3:00, he said that it is

OK and he will still be here, I told him that if anything had to be signed it on the table. he understood and said yes, When I came home I seen that the tub really didn't look as it was a professional job it looked as if

someone took a can of spray paint to it so I called them back that evening (10/16) and told them the tub didn't look right , there was some drip marks, small black pin holes and a black like shadow around the inside of the tub, that it looked like it was over painted in some areas and under painted in the others areas. The bottom of the tub look as if it had a bunch of pin holes in the paint, kind of like small air bubbles. She said that these are normal to wait the 3 day drying period and it will dry and even out and if there was still problems to call again. Then my mother -in- law told me she had to sign a paper or he wouldn't get paid for the job also, he was here for less then 2 hr. , something started to feel very uncomfortable with the way he did this. 10/20

I waited the 3 day period of time, there still was the same problems as before, the drying time did nothing to correct the problem. The pin holes, small air bubbles was rough spots and I also notice that most of the surface of the tub has kind of sandpaper marks as if you sanded down a piece of wood with very course paper then painted over it with using fine sandpaper first.

I called them again, and explained it looked the same and explained about

the rough spots, drip marks, shadows, unevenly painted, and how a lot of

the areas of the tub you could see sand paper marks, Paris made an

appointment for them to come back and correct it on 10/27 at 4 PM she said

to go ahead and chalk the tub and we could use it for now and it will be

corrected on the 27th. 10/22

This was the first time we used the bathtub and the paint peeled away (

about the size of a quarter) I call them to inform them of this and Paris said it will be taken care of on the 27th at 4:00, and the tub will have to be redone cause of the peeling so make sure the bathroom is prepared again. 10/27 4PM 2nd appointment , canceled by Eastern Refinishing

Waited till 4:30 and gave them a call they said that they where over

booked for the day and Larry was running late, so it would have to be

reschedule, I explain I spent over an hr preparing the bathroom by removing

curtain and items like that, she said there is nothing that could be done and said that he will come on Nov 3rd at 3PM and there will be no

cancellations, and he will be here so not to worry about wasting my time of preparing the bathroom for it to be redone. 11/3 3PM 3rd appointment , canceled by Eastern Refinishing

I called at 11AM to make sure they were coming at 3PM, Paris said they

would be here on time, waited till 3:30 and called they said things was

running late they would be here with in the hour, called back at 5 PM they

put me on hold and contacted Larry and then told me that he would have to

cancel due to the previous job running late, they rescheduled for 11/20 at

4PM 11/18

I called to make sure they would be coming out on that Monday the 20th,

she said I was in the book for 4 PM and They will make sure there is no

cancellations due to there part this time 11/20 4 PM, 4th appointment, canceled by Eastern Refinishing

I called them at 4:20 and asked if they were coming today explained I was

getting very tired of preparing the bathroom for them to cancel on me. She

told me she will call me back in 5 min after gets calls Larry to let me know

when he will be here. I called here back at 5:10 and asked when he was

going to be here and she said he is running late again and will not be able

to get here tonight. Again it was reschedule due to them canceling and gave

me an appointment for 12/7 at 4 PM 12/07/00 4 PM, 5th appointment, Steven came at 6 PM

Again they did not show at 4 PM so I called at 4:30, she said they are

running late again due to the weather and he will be here in a 1/2 hour, I

waited till 5:30 and called again and told her they never arrived here and

she said again they are late and will be here shortly. Steven came at 6 PM

he looked at the tub and he felt the tub had to be totally redone. As he

was examining the poor job his zipper of his jacket just touched the tub

lightly and scraped of the paint, I pointed it out to him , he said it will

all be corrected when the tub gets redone , however it was to late at night

to start a job like this being it will take around 4 - 5 hour. He called

the office and explained

to Paris that the tub could not be repaired it had to be totally redone.

Pairs contacted Charlie (the boss)and he said he will come out on 1/8 at 4

PM and redo the tub himself to make sure it was done properly,

I said that is a month away and she said that they were really booked up

because of the holidays being that everyone wants there tub replace for the

holidays, so, I had to wait till Jan 8th at 4 PM 1/8/01 4 PM, 6th appointment, canceled by Eastern Refinishing

Waited till 4:30 gave them a called, they are running late and will be

there shortly, called back at 5:15, they had to cancel again cause Charlie

(the boss) had to many jobs to check on so they reschedule for Jan 11th at

4:PM 1/11/01 4 PM, 7th appointment, canceled by Eastern Refinishing

I called at 2:30 to see if they would be here, they had to cancel again

they are over booked and running late, Larry is still on his first job from

the morning, I mention that Charlie (the boss) was suppose to come, she

said he will meet Larry here tomorrow at 4 PM 01/12/01 4 PM, 8th appointment, Larry came at 5:45 PM

I called at 4:20 again they are running late but Larry and Charlie will

be here and complete the job tonight. called again at 5 PM they are running late due to the weather, she tried to call him on his cell phone but could not get thru, she gave me his number so I could try to reach him,( 330 730- 4260). left message on cell phone , Larry called back and said he will be here shortly, Larry came without Charlie at 5:45 and told me that nothing could be done to fix it, he started to verbally abuse by yelling at me and

telling me I should be grateful with the job ,And told me I was "seeing

things". so I call his office and told Paris he was yelling at me and to

please tell him to claim down, cause my nerves could not handle anymore of

this. She told him to fix it up, so Larry being very upset at me for calling

his office painted over the chipped section, leaving very noticeable drip marks. And left my house still saying that I was wrong and the tub was perfect 1/13I called and I tried to talk to Charlie about what happened the day before and he started getting real loud with me over the phone I asked him if he was yelling at me and he said yes so I deiced I should not talk to him at this time and try to discuss it and a better time. 1/18I called again and asked if we could try to settle this matter before I

have to take it to small claims court she transferred me to Tracy, Tracy

seemed to be understanding, she notice on her computer that this was

canceled many times due to there company and said it did not have to go to court, she said she will call me on Monday to reschedule a time for the tub to be totally redone, and it will not be Larry that comes out 1/24

I called Nancy back she apologize for not calling me back on the 22nd but she has been real busy. She transferred me to Charlie, again he was rude

and told me there is no way they will come back out here to repair the

damages that was done, I explain I would like to settle this matter with

going to small claims court, and if they can't fix the tub or please refund the money,he said no he will not fix the tub and not to call there number anymore 1/24 Charlie called back around 15 min latter and told me " MRS.. Winter we

know about you and do not call back this phone number again. I told him fine Really did not understand what he meant by "we know you" ??? 2/27/01 At this point the tub is looks worst, some of the pin holes (

rough spots )are peeling off too, I

tried again and they are not returning my calls. I could really use some

help in this matter, I feel as if they done an poor job on my tub and it

should be corrected and they should refund the cost of this job. I would

also like it to be know that this company doesn't stand up to there word,

and become very nasty when a customer complains about any faults in there work.

Thank you for your help in this matter

Denise C

Here's what I'd like Eastern Refinishing to do: they should refund the cost of this job. I would also like it to be know that this company doesn't stand up to there word, and become very nasty when a customer complains about any faults in there work. I hope you can help me settle this problem in a timely and professional

manner. I look forward to a personal response in 10 business days.

Denise C

submitted complaint on 3/3/01

state attorney general's consumer protection division

submitted complaint on 3/4/01

to Better Business Bureau

www.Cantonbbb.org

submitted complaint on 3/4/01

to Planetfeedback.com

submitted complaint on 3/4/01 By E-mail to COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_65961#

"Voice of the People." Beacon Journal

http://www.ohio.com/bj/ sumitted complaint on 3/4/01 By E-mail to COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_61537#

d66d4e81, 2008-02-22, 05:09PM CST

Yeah Charlie Gaylor is pretty much a little liar whose company is really shady. There people aren't even licensed or insured!!! So I would ask anyone seeing this not to hire this company because they do crappy work and also don't even go by the state regulations that everyone else in this country has to follow. He runs a shady organization out of Canada and his people don't even pay taxes here in the United States so go with a company that is based in your hometown so that is reputable and stay away from this crappy organization.

9201c524, 2010-02-05, 08:52PM CST

To set the record straight...I did NOT hire or train Bill Keenan. And as for the above mentioned complaint...I told Mrs. Costas due to the damage of her tub, that I could not warranty it. I let the office at Eastern know of my finding. She just "wanted to get it cleaned up".

Charles Gayler also ran a company called Imperial Refinishing which is out of business.

I did NOT nor have I EVER owned or operated a tub refinishing company!!!

Bill to this day still owns and operates his own refinishing business.

I have just been made aware of this complaint being out here on the Internet slandering my name. I left this company in 2001 due to his shady business practices. If you check with the Attorney Generals offices in Ohio, New York and New Jersey you can see for yourself.

bf548ead, 2010-02-28, 06:27PM CST

I'm posting this comment to set the record straight...I did NOT hire or train Bill Keenan. And as for the above mentioned complaint...I told Mrs. Costas due to the damage of her tub, that I could not warranty the repair. I let the office at Eastern Refinishing know of my finding. She just "wanted to get it cleaned up".

I did NOT nor have I EVER owned or operated a tub refinishing company!!!

Bill to this day still owns and operates his own refinishing business.

***To any potential employers reading this*** I worked for this company for 5 months. The moment I realized of the deceptive ways this man operated his company, I quit my employment. I did not list this on my resume because I did not want to be affiliated with this company in any way.

Thank you.