GE - Appliances, GE white appliances are turning yellow

Posted on Thursday, January 25th, 2001 at 12:00am CST by 91a38613

Product: appliances

Company: GE

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

I recently purchased an entire GE upscale kitchen with all white on white appliances.

After the one year warranty expired portions of the refrigerator (icemaker) and the built in microwave door and the handle to the dishwasher turned yellow due to sunfading.

I have researched the problem and it is due to defective materials used in the manufacture of these items.

Needless to say I now have Yellow on White appliances - not what I purchased.

GE says tough luck!! I caution anyone - stay away from GE white on white appliances!!!!!

7e5d6644, 2010-03-21, 09:12PM CDT

I too am having the problem with all of my appliance handles yellowing. Mainly my refrigerator which is a Sears Kenmore and I asked about the yellowing. I was told that all while appliances with the while handles that are not metal have that problem. My refrigerator handles are getting worse and worse. It is even the covey area for the water dispenser that is yellowing. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it look better without having to buy new parts? I have tried everything I can think of to whiten/brighten it up and nothing works. What are other people doing that have this problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. It looks disguisting and I am embarrassed over it. I would think the appliance manufacturers would take care of this flaw. I welcome your suggestions. Is there a appiance paint that could be used on the handles that would adhere properly?

Thanks!

7e5d6644, 2010-03-21, 10:25PM CDT

I too am having the problem with all of my appliance handles yellowing. Mainly my refrigerator which is a Sears Kenmore and I asked about the yellowing. I was told that all white appliances with the white handles and/or white trim that are not metal have that problem. My refrigerator handles are getting worse and worse....meaning dingy yellow or yellower! It is even turning on the covey area for the water dispenser that is yellowing. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it look better without having to buy new parts? I have tried everything I can think of to whiten/brighten it up and nothing works. What are other people doing that have this problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. It looks disguisting and I am embarrassed over it. I would think the appliance manufacturers would take care of this flaw especially since they know it is a problem. I welcome your suggestions. Is there a appiance paint that could be used on the handles that would adhere properly?

Thanks!

9e8d0bed, 2010-09-02, 10:29AM CDT

I just bought a home 6 years old with GE appliances. They work beautifully but the handles on the refrigerator are made of what seems to be rubber and they are beige to yellow. Can I buy new handles for this 6 year old refrigerator or is there a cleaner for this?