AT&T - Telephone Service, AT&T trouble getting refund owed for overpayment

Posted on Friday, February 16th, 2001 at 3:31pm CST by 3f1d8abc

Company: AT&T

Category: Telecommunications

I was a subscriber to AT&T long distance service and back in November I made an error in payment, overpaying my phone bill of $30.50 and instead paying $3033.82. On December 13th when I realized the error I contacted customer service and requested a refund.

After being transferred to numerous individuals, within numerous internal departments, I found someone able to help. I was told that the normal refund time is 6-8 weeks. I explained that I was an unemployed single mother of 2 and requested that the refund be expedited. I was told I'd have a check in 7-10 business days. At that time they checked my mailing address and had it incorrect.

My phone number, since 1989 when I bought my home has always been associated with my home address (my bills come correctly), but they somehow had my ex-husband's address associated with the number. I was assured that it would be corrected and the check mailed to my correct home address. When by January 7th, I still didn't have a refund check, I contacted customer service again.

Again after being transferred to numerous individuals, within numerous internal departments, I found someone able to help. I was informed that the check had been mailed on 12/27, but to my ex-husband's address. I checked with him, but he did not have the check. I requested that AT&T stop payment on the check and that they re-issue the check.

I again reminded them that I was an unemployed single mother of 2 and asked that they expedite re-issuing the check. I was told I'd have a check within 3 weeks and that the address would be corrected. When I still did not receive the check on 2/15, I again called AT&T.

I was informed that the check was mailed again to my ex-husband's address. As of this email I have been on the phone (mostly on hold) trying to find out how to get my address correct so that I can get the money due me. I have of course discontinued my AT&T service, but have no faith that this will be resolved to my satisfaction anytime soon.