Posted on Wednesday, August 27th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by bb418b06

Company: WLI Travel Values - 1-800-FLOWERS - unauthorized $ 7.00 monthly charges to credit card by WLI, as a result of making a purchase from 1-800-FLOWERS.COM

# 11 for August 26, 2003

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 25, 2003:

From:

RE: WLI Travel Values - 1-800-FLOWERS - unauthorized $ 7.00 monthly charges to credit card by WLI, as a result of making a purchase from 1-800-FLOWERS.COM

On August 12, 2003, I discovered a mysterious $7.00 charge from WLI Travel Values on my debit card. It turned out they had been charging me since June of 2003. The charges were coded as Point of Sale charges--the same code used for retail purchases.

This makes them easy to miss. I found other complaints about WLI Travel Values on Complaints.com, and called the company to demand a refund. They confirmed that they got my information from 1-800-FLOWERS.COM.

They further claimed that I signed up for the membership voluntarily (I remembered looking at the offer of a travel club and then deciding against it because it cost $7/month and I belong to many other free discount travel sites.) I was credited $7 on my account, and called back to ask for a full refund.

At that point they started asking for more information, but I told them they had to have my information because they had already sent a refund, and they returned the rest of my money.

Incidentally, 1-800-FLOWERS denies passing on my information without my consent or knowledge. I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau online (WLI Travel Values is a member!), the Connecticut State Attorney General's office, (WLI Travel Values is based in Connecticut, where I live), and my state representative.

I strongly recommend that if you use your bank account to make online purchases that you sign up for account online management and check your account for unauthorized charges every day. There are many scams out there like this. My bank has changed its policy on this recently--it will not issue credits until the disputed charge is resolved. If a problem occurs, it is important to act on it right away.

Further information on this scam can be found at http://www.gabandjd.com/yourprivacyisatrisk.html