Posted on Sunday, August 24th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by 9b53612f

Company: 1996 Ford Windstar GL with 24,000 miles - front timing cover and head gasket leak

# 15 for August 23, 2003

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 22, 2003:

From:

RE: 1996 Ford Windstar GL with 24,000 miles - front timing cover and head gasket leak

In 1998, I purchased a used 1996 Ford Windstar GL with 24K miles from Monaco Ford in Glastonbury, CT. In May 2000, The transmission completely failed and I lost my van for almost one week while it was repaired by the dealer, luckily, I had enough common sense to purchase an extended warranty when I bought the van, because I found out the transmission rebuild cost more than $3000.00 to perform.

Three weeks ago, the "check engine" light came on and I brought the vehicle to another Ford dealer to find out what was wrong. After losing my vehicle all day long, I was informed there is a "front timing cover" and "headgasket" leak, the cost of repair will be $800.00 for one and $1200.00 for the other, because they don't know which one is the worst.

I sent an email to Ford asking for assistance with the repair because my van has less than 60K miles, and I feel that any vehicle with such low mileage shouldn't have all these problems. This afternoon I spoke with a Ford customer relations representative and gave me a song and dance about Ford not having any type of warranty to help me.

What he was trying to say was "You're on your own buddy", we don't want to know. I have decided not spend the $2000.00 on repairs because I suspect a lot more problems will arise and I refuse to keep putting my hard earned money on a vehicle that is destined to end up in the junk yard, instead I will use it to purchase another vehicle.

Sincerely,