Budget Car Rental - Budget Car Rental, San Juan, PR - returned car that wasn't working correctly - charged for more rental time than due for car that wasn't safe to drive - not helped by location in Ponce - told would have to drive car back to San Juan

Posted on Friday, August 22nd, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by b4d55e2c

Company: Budget Car Rental

Location: SAN JUAN, PR

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

I rented a car at your San Juan location on February 19, 2003. I the drove the car down to Ponce were I was staying while on vacation. While driving down, the car started to give me problems. So I decided to go to your nearest car location that you have which was in Ponce since the car would not make it back to San Juan. I explained to your clerk that the car was giving me problem driving down here and I will like another car. I did not want to get stuck on the freeway.

Since San Juan is not like NY that you can get a tow truck right away. I also advised her that I was traveling with my Grandmother who is 88 yrs. old and with her condition I did not want to take any chances. I continued to speak to the clerk but she did not want to hear what I was telling her, she was to busy conversing with other people that worked at that location.

She told me that I would have to take the car back to San Juan and have them deal with the problem because she could not help me. I did not agree with her and told her that the car will not make it back since I have been a mechanic with NYC Police Department for 15 yrs. I knew what I was talking about. I told her that I would show her the problem but she did not want to hear a word I had to say and walked away and went back to speaking with the people at the location.

I was getting very upset I called her again and told her I am on vacation and I not going to drive a car that is going to break down. I told her to call someone from the San Juan location that could help since she stated that she wasn't going to help with the problem and she refused. At this point I started to lose my patience and left the location because I was very angry that she was very rude and obnoxious employee. So the next day I went back and explained to her again the problem and she kept telling the same thing that I would have to take the car back to San Juan. I advised her that if the car did not have a problem I would be happy to return it.

But its not going to make it back. So once again she refused to check the car so I returned the car and went to another car rental place which was located at the same location and rented with them (Avis). They did not give me a problem and understood the problem I was having. And they even advised me that I was not the only person that budget has given customers a hard time when they try to return cars that do not work properly to the Ponce location. I refuse to pay for a car that was not working probably and when I tried to return it, your clerk refused to look into the problem. Yes I will be pay for that one day I had the car for, but I am not going to pay $333.00 for it. Thank you

John Quiles