Posted on Thursday, August 21st, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by 67b1c67f

Company: 1999 KIA Sephia - horn stopped working at 66,000 miles - $ 800 cost to fix - fixing the horn requires replacing the entire airbag assembly

# 32 for August 20, 2003

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 19, 2003:

From:

RE: 1999 KIA Sephia - horn stopped working at 66,000 miles - $ 800 cost to fix - fixing the horn requires replacing the entire airbag assembly

The horn stopped working on my 1999 Kia Sephia with 61,000 miles. The dealership (which also sells and services Fords) estimated the repair at $50 to $100, which I authorized.

A few hours later the service manager called and told me to forget it. Due to a totally bizarre design, the horn is integrated into the airbag unit and fixing the horn requires replacing the entire airbag assembly.

The cost: $650 for the part and $150 labor, total $800. I called Kia of America Consumer Affairs and offered to pay $100, which is what it would have coast me if the horn design were normal, toward the repair. They declined as the car is out of warranty and said that I would have to pay the full cost myself.

I had placed the car on sale just before the horn went bad and have been unable to sell it as nobody wants to buy a car without a horn. Also, it is dangerous to drive a car without a warning signal in case of danger. Michael V. Gershowitz, Ph.D. Des Moines, IA 50310 COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_34456#