Douglas Motors, Douglas, WY - trouble with purchase of 2003 Chevrolet Silverado

Posted on Sunday, August 17th, 2003 at 12:00am CDT by cb27bf6b

Company: Douglas Motors, Douglas, WY - trouble with purchase of 2003 Chevrolet Silverado

# 22 for August 16, 2003

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 15, 2003:

From:

RE: Douglas Motors, Douglas, WY - trouble with purchase of 2003 Chevrolet Silverado

This complaint is in regards to a '03 Chevy Silverado I purchased from Douglas Motors in Douglas Wyoming. Before I purchased the vehicle, I asked the salesman (Ron Halstead) if sales tax and license were included, he said yes. Since I am a Nevada resident, but purchased the vehicle in WY, I asked Ron if we could include NV sales tax and license in the financing and total purchase price, he said yes.

I gave him the figures for NV tax/lic, which amounted to $1666.15 (tax) and $418.00 (lic). Also added on to that amount was $19.00 for govt lic and title fees. Which brings the total on the contract to $32427. I called Ron the week of the 4th (July) to make arrangements to p/u the truck.

He then told me they made a mistake on the contract, that GMAC thought I was putting down a $1000 down payment. He stated this is what the financing was based upon. I agreed to put down only $500, which they accepted by check the day I picked up the vehicle. I was not given a reciept right then because it was 4th of July and the mgr was not there. It was also not written into the contract. I was told also by Ron that Douglas Motors would "cut me a check" for the tax in NV.

I took the truck home, along with a 45 day permit to register the vehicle.I tried to call Ron several times over the next few weeks regarding the tax check, and was always told he will call me back, and he would never call. I called his boss, Mgr Tom Winger, and complained to him, and was told the $500 down payment was not really for a down payment, but to cover an internal error on their part.

I asked if they could rewrite the contract to include sales tax, he said no. I have spoken with several people at GMAC regarding this, and they say they have accepted rewritten contracts from dealers. I have also spoken to the owner of the dealer, and will be talking with GMAC legal dept. My phone calls to Tom are never returned. I now have a truck that cannot be driven because the 45 day permit is up.