1999 Volkwagen Jetta 1999 - undercarrige repairs

# 31 for August 12, 2003

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 11, 2003:

From:

RE: 1999 Volkwagen Jetta 1999 - undercarrige repairs

I recently purchased a used 1999 Volkswagen Jetta. After two months of driving the car about 2,000 the undercarriage I came to find out had broken loose from the main housing and had fallen to within less than 6-8 inches off of the ground.

I took the car to the dealership that I purchased it from and left them a note as to what I wanted checked on the car. I had been having some trouble with the air conditioning making some noise. When I called to find out what had caused the problem with the undercarriage, they had only checked out the air conditioning, because that was the only part of the car that was under the Certified Pre Owned vehicle warranty.

I went down to the dealership and talked with the service man who was handling my car and he told me that it would be about $150.00 for the repairs to the undercarriage and the damage that had happened to my bumper due to the undercarriage damage. They called me on Saturday 7/25/03 to let me know that now if was going to be $350 to fix everything, and that it was not covered under any warranty because the damage was caused by "Outside Influence." I called and talked to them again on 7/28/03 to find out

what had been done to the car.

They had finally fixed the undercarriage and the bumper, but in the process they had damaged a spring in the hood lock and would not have the part for another day, at this time did they offer me a rental car, but I declined due to the frustrations that I was already feeling towards them.

Come to find out the pieces that I had paid $255.00 to have replaced have a warranty by the manufacturer for 12 months or 12,000 mile, but remember that I had only put 2,000 mile on the car since purchase. I am now having to have the vacuum hose replaced due at my expense of having to have the car towed to the dealership. I have written an email on the VW website and will continue to do so till this issue that I feel is not due to "Outside Influence" is resolved. Either they refund me my money or they give me a car that will run more than 2 months at a time.