Home Depot, Hayward, CA - upset with customer service - consumer expoiting return policy I am like many people who work on projects around the house, I shop at Home Depot. Unfortunately, their - Home Depot, Hayward, CA - upset with customer service - consumer expoiting return policy

Posted on Friday, August 9th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 7fbfb28f

Company: Home Depot, Hayward, CA - upset with customer service - consumer expoiting return policy I am like many people who work on projects around the house, I shop at Home Depot. Unfortunately, their

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 7, 2002:

From:

RE: Home Depot, Hayward, CA - upset with customer service - consumer expoiting return policy I am like many people who work on projects around the house, I shop at Home Depot. Unfortunately, their customer service has gone down the drain from certain stores all the way up to their corporate headquarters. Sure, they'll take just about anything back but forget trying to resolve a complaint, its just not worth the time.

I have been shopping in the Hayward, CA, store since it opened and have had two major problems regarding customer service at this store. First and foremost they are severely understaffed and then when you do find someone to help you they tell you that is not their department. And they don't help you! In February I went to the store a half hour before closing time to buy a new bath tub sliding glass door but they were stocked way up on the top shelf and I needed to have someone bring one down.

It took me 20 minutes to find an employee who works in this area and he told me they were closing in 10 minutes and that he did not have access to the lift. He suggested I pay for the door at this time and he would see to it that it would be waiting for me at the customer service desk when they opened in the morning. This was not a special order, it was a regularly stocked door.

I was not too happy about having to drive back in the morning but took him up on the offer. The next morning I went to pick up the door and it was nowhere to be seen. The salesperson never did what he said he would do and he was not in this day either. So, here I am at 7:30 am with a receipt for a stocked door that I had already paid for and I could find NO ONE to get the door down. Finally, after 30 minutes a 'supervisor' said he would get someone to retrieve the door and he also offered to take a few bucks off the purchase for the inconvenience.

Guess what, he disappeared and I had to wait another 15 minutes for the next 'supervisor' to come around. He personally took the door down after he was convinced I was about to flip out. Never, and I mean Never, pay for anything in advance at Home Depot unless you absolutely have to. They will dismiss the sense of urgency if they know you have already paid for the item because they've already got what they want--your money.

My second bad experience at the Hayward CA store occured in mid July 2002. They were out of a certain item I needed and so I went to another store fifteen minutes away that had some but not enough. They called the Hayward store and located the item. I told the person helping me that I was just at the Hayward store and they were out and I asked to speak with the person they had on the phone from the Hayward store. I did and the guy swore up and down that they had a whole bunch of what I needed it was just stored up on the shelves. He even confirmed the bar code and told me to come on down.

When I got there, it was the wrong stuff and the person who I spoke with said if they do not have it, its because the manufacturer was probably phasing it out. I made my was over to the customer service desk to speak with the store manager and was told he was out for the day and that there were no managers on but I could speak with an assistant store manager.

The assistant store manager was a complete joke. After explaining to him what I needed he began making phone calls to try to help me but then I knew it was a sham when he saw me still standing there after 10 minutes and asked me if I had been helped yet. I just about blew my lid because this guy forgot all about me, forget that he did not even recognize me. I asked to speak with the district manager and they said he was not in but gave me his phone number.

I went outside and called on my cell phone and a lady who answered told me that it is not the district manager's job to handle customer complaints and promptly instructed me to call their 800 number to complain. I did and they said they do nothing more than kick the complaint back to the store via email to handle the complaints.

This means that there is no central area that handles escalated complaints, they all go back to the store. Well, the district manager was unreachable and all I could do was have them email a complaint to the store which never was processed because no one has ever called. For the fun of it I called the corporate headquarters and they said I need to handle it with the store.

The one thing I have learned here is that Home Depot leaves much to be desired when it comes to handling complaints but they save me at least a hundred dollars or more a month on rental tools. They do not have a conscience when it comes to customer service and I no longer have one when it comes to exploiting their return policy.

I love to use quality tools when doing my projects and nothing beats new equipment that is free to use. Why should I rent when I can buy the best, use it for a week or two and return it for a full refund? I used their most expensive paint sprayer to paint my house and just go to town with their power tools--all for NOTHING! I love it, I do not even bother cleaning the stuff before returning it. Let them deal with it.

The other day while returning a table saw I noticed that someone returned a rusty old lawn mower that looked like it was retired from the fields. I had a silent laugh and figured they joined the Satisfaction Guaranteed bandwagon too. Thank you Home Depot!

Cheers, Steve