Posted on Friday, August 9th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by eea3fe1b

Company: 1999 Toyota Celica convertible - burning one quart of oil every 2500 miles - 10,000 miles on car

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 7, 2002:

From:

RE: 1999 Toyota Celica convertible - burning one quart of oil every 2500 miles - 10,000 miles on car

In 1999 we bought a new Toyota Celica Convertible from Fremont Toyota. On a trip to Arizona, approximately 1200 miles, we burned two quarts of oil. I immediately took it into San Luis Obispo Toyota which is our local dealer.

We were told by the service manager that they would have to do an oil consumption test on our car which meant that we had to take the car into the dealership any time we needed to add oil. I told him that this was really an inconvenience and that Toyota needed to deal with the problem.

He wouldn't budge until one of the mechanics noticed blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe when he started it up. Toyota then replaced the valve stem guide seals which were apparently leaking.

After we got the car back it still continued to burn oil. At the time the car had been driven less that 10,000 mile and was burning at the rate of a quart every 2500 miles. Toyota says this is acceptable and would not look into the problem until it burns a quart every 1200 miles. Even their own mechanics admitted that the car shouldn't burn any oil with only 10,000 miles on it.

My concern is when the car is out of warranty and is burning more than a quart every 1200 miles, I will be out of luck. I believe Toyota should have fixed the problem correctly in the first place. I complained both to the service manager and the corporate office in Torrance, California. They both pretty much said their hands were tied because of corporate policy.

This has really soured me on Toyota and I may not deal with them again. I am really disappointed with our local dealership.

I have owned three other Toyotas and two Mazdas and none of them have used any oil until they had been driven over 100,000 miles.