Posted on Thursday, August 8th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 041bd94d

Company: 1999 Chrysler Jeep Wrangler - 30 months and 42,000 miles - exhaust manifold cracked in half

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 6, 2002:

From:

RE: 1999 Chrysler Jeep Wrangler - 30 months and 42,000 miles - exhaust manifold cracked in half

I have a 1999 Chrysler Jeep Wrangler. I bought rather than leased, and my purchase came with a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty. So 30 months into owning the Jeep I have 42,000 miles on it and the exhaust manifold cracks in half. It's a piece of tubular steel a quarter of an inch thick. And it cracked in half. I don't off-road, I don't run over parking blocks, I don't dive over cliffs. I owe a lot of money on the jeep so I treat it like a little baby and drive only down the freeway and through neighborhoods. And the exhaust manifold cracked right in half. I took it back to the dealership and they wanted $1,200 to fix it. The dealership was Suburban Chrysler in Novi, Michigan. The service consultant. Tim Grzeszac wouldn't honor the warranty because I was over mileage. When I tried to explain to him that a piece of tubular steel shouldn't crack in half for no reason, he understood my plight and offered to knock $100 off of the labor price. I then took the jeep into six private mechanics and they all told me that the part is defective because the two tubes should have been welded together for extra support and that they forgot to do it on the 1998 and up models. Cherokees, too. I HAD SIX GUYS TELL ME THIS. NONE OF WHOM HAD EVER MET. One guy told me he just fixed his brothers' Cherokee. One guy told me that he fixes these all the time. So I called Tim back and told him that the part was defective and everyone knows it, and he said that he had never heard of such a problem except in my jeep. This guy has been working on jeeps for at least three years. Every day. So I called Chrysler's complaint department and they blew me off. The part should be on recall because it's defective. I found an aftermarket version that had the weld in the right place, and the guy that changed me out (not a Chrysler garage) showed me the missing weld on the old one. The thing is, fire shoots out of the exhaust manifold and it sits three inches from a fuel line. These things shoot fire and they are all defective, and Chrysler knows it and they just don't care. I should sell defective cars to everyone and then charge them $1,200 to fix them. True story.

87ec1c17, 2009-01-24, 04:47PM CST

I am currently on my 4th exhaust manifold for my 1998 Jeep TJ as they continue to crack! I find it a slap in the face that Jeep/Chrysler does not and will not recognize this as a defect and the consumer is left to pay over and over for their incompetence. It has stopped me from ever purchasing another chrysler product as having one jeep that continues to be a money pit is enough.