Posted on Sunday, September 1st, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by c3c0bad5

Company: CompuServe - changed payment method from card to checks - charged $ 250 cancellation fee

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 30, 2002:

From:

RE: CompuServe - changed payment method from card to checks - charged $ 250 cancellation fee

I recently cancelled a credit card due to personal reasons. Over 2.5 years ago, I had used the card to purchase a Compaq computer with Compuserve internet service for a 3 year period.

When I cancelled the credit card a few months ago, I called Compuserve to see where I could mail checks instead of giving another credit card, and began to send checks for the monthly fee (originally appearing as a monthly charge on my credit card bill). Well, it seems that somewhere in Compuserve's programming they assume that if the original credit card you purchase a service on is not chargable for your monthly fee (even if the card is cancelled for personal reasons that are NOT against Compuserve), then Compuserve ASSUMES that you've cancelled your three year contract and try to get the extra $250 cancellation fee out of you. We had cancelled our credit card, NOT our contract with Compuserve, and we were talking with Compuserve customer service, and sending payments, and made a bank card payment over the phone, Compuserve STILL sent our account to a credit collection agency to get their cancellation fee! When I talked with the collection agency, and I wrote a letter disputing their $250 cancellation fee, for an account that was active, I made sure I copied the collection agency at two addresses given, and copied Compuserve at two addresses (lockbox and credit department). Also, note, if you send payments to their lockbox, it takes a while for those payments to post to their system. Just a warning.