1-800 Flowers - 1-800 Flowers - two unsatisfactory delivery experiences

Posted on Thursday, August 29th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 10e5f810

Company: 1-800 Flowers

Category: Online Shopping

Twice I have used 1-800 Flowers to deliver floral arrangements for special occasions, and never again. Both times were completely unsatisfactory. The first time was a year ago when my grandmother was dying. I picked out a Birds of Paradise arrangement - a $50 arrangement.

The flowers that arrived were completely different from those I picked out and there wasn't a single Birds of Paradise in the bunch. On top of that, the flowers chosen had a distinct phallic resemblance. Basically, it looked like I sent my dying grandmother a bouquet of large pink penises.

1st resolution. 1-800 Flowers sent a new arrangement, but the damage had been done. Luckily, my grandmother was a kind person.

Every company has their bad days, so I bought another arrangement this week(a year later). This time I spent $50 to send flowers to my girlfriend at work. I had never sent flowers to her at work and I wanted to surprise her. The florist contracted by 1-800 Flowers delivered the flowers on the wrong day. She wasn't at work that day and consequently the surprise was ruined because one of her co-workers called her at home.

2nd resolution. 1-800 Flowers confirmed that they sent the flowers on the wrong day and offered a 20% discount on my next purchase. After I explained how this was unacceptable and waiting on hold for authorization, they refunded $8. $8 does not make up for blowing the surprise, or for the aggravation of calling to demand to get what I paid for.

Bottom line: I will never use their service again.