1998 GMC Jimmy SLS - Electrical & Coolant Problems

Company: 1998 GMC Jimmy SLS - Electrical & Coolant Problems

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 18, 2002:

From:

RE: 1998 GMC Jimmy SLS - Electrical & Coolant Problems

I have had several problems throughout the ownership of this vehicle.

I leased the vehicle new in 1998. Since that time, I have had numerous problems that began nearly right from the start.

One of the first problems I had was electrical. The interior dome lights would flash off and on repeatedly, either in the daytime or in the night, for no apparent reason. I could never make this happen when it was at the dealership.

Additionally, the windshield wipers occasionally do not work (they sort of work whenever they want to). This is also something that the dealership could never figure out and it continues now.

Approximately one year ago, I developed a slight overheating problem due to the DEX-COOL coolant that GM uses. The coolant developed an almost cookie-dough like substance which gunked up the entire radiator system.

GM would not stand behind me on this one either. At that time it had approximately 50,000 miles and the problem was supposed corrected with a radiator flush (which GMC would not pay for).

Now, at 60,000 miles I have had to have the alternator replaced. Furthermore, the compressor on my air conditioner just went out and had to be replaced at a minimum cost of $800.

I will never own another GM product due to the poor mechanics, electronic system, etc. of this vehicle. I hope that other owners are not "stuck" with these so called professional grade vehicles as I am.

Jennifer

3b2ca862, 2008-03-15, 10:52AM CDT

That is funny. We have a 1998 Jimmy and our wipers like to stop working when it starts to rain. For the record I live in Washington state not a great state for wipers to stop working..

Today, the reason I did a search for Electrical problems in a 1998 Jimmy is the locks have gone hay wire. It is unlocking an Re locking its self.

Is this gonna keep going until It gradually drains the battery? Thats what i am thinking so I went to pop the hood and disconnect the battery and the plastic handle busted. So I can't access the battery to disconnect it.

Very frustrating and I had my whole day planned out.. SO Much for finally owning a nice car.. ;o(

3efbef5b, 2008-04-15, 09:37AM CDT

I further agree with you. I have had one problem after the other with my 1998 GMC Jimmy. Oil leaks, fuel pump, front end parts, electic windows, rear windshield wiper motor, passenger seat lever breaking, the list goes on and on and on. I will never purchase another GMC and I tell all my friends and associates about all the problems I have had. With no help from GMC

d2b6cddf, 2008-12-09, 12:25PM CST

I have recently purchased a used 1998 jimmy, all tho the vehicle is in near perfect shape (cosmetically) after owning for 37 days things went south. the engine (main bearings) exploded and at 150k miles it was no big surprise, but $4,300 for a new engine. then 2 weeks later the fuel module went out,$900 for that part. now at the writing of this, and our first significant snow fall the four wheel drive wont engage (yes it worked when i test drove) the transfer case control module and computer sh-- the bed!! only $1,400 for that. keep in mind that I bought this finely crafted American made GMC in July of this year! now don't get me wrong, I love my country... but you can bet your bottom dollar that the next time I WILL buy a foreign auto, AND I'm a union worker (thank GOD not for the auto workers) in short if you buy an "American made" car don't forget who needs bailing out!!

2896155b, 2008-12-23, 12:30PM CST

I have had similar problems with a used 1998 GMC JIMMY with only 60,000 miles.

at approx. 54,000 miles I had to replace the fuel pump at a whopping cost of $800+. The next thing that went out was the alternator. The repair guy wanted $200+. I replaced it myself for less than $100. The next thing that went out was the front hubs. Those were $400 each. I have also replaced the battery($100). Drive belt $75 also replaced the drivers door power window motor, $300.THE WORST CAR EVER!!bye GM!!