Posted on Monday, August 19th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 917b9664

Company: Los Angeles DWP electricity provider - vastly overcharged for bill - no help given - told to pay incorrect bill

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on August 17, 2002:

From:

RE: Los Angeles DWP electricity provider - vastly overcharged for bill - no help given - told to pay incorrect bill

My complaint is against Los Angeles DWP, I have been dealing with them for over 2 1/2 YEARS. My story is this I have resided in my home of 17 years using the only power source available to me LADWP, all was normal until 2 1/2 yeas ago when I received a bill stating my kwh usage to be 5636 kwh.

I immediately phoned DWP and informed them their was a huge problem this was not right my normal kwh usage for the last 17 years for this time of year was approximately 1500kwh this is a difference of over 4000kwh. They told me to contact the field investigative department of DWP I did and I have been dealing with them ever since.

I have paid for electricians to check my electrical wires. Box, and outlets all was working fine. DWP tested my meter and they claim it was working fine. They have had a conservation expert come out and show me if I turn off my lights that I could save power. They have given me no reason just tell me to pay my bill and that's that. I refused for obvious reasons and demanded further action.

I was eventually given a DWP hearing with an arbitrator (paid by DWP) who although he could see their was a definite problem with the bills he said he would look over the information and get back to me. The result of this hearing was pay your bill.

Let me tell you that November 1999 was the first of the next 30 months of ridiculous bills ranging from 2900kwh to 5600kwh, however in the 17 years I have lived here I never used more than 2800kwh in the hottest of summers, (using 2 wall a/c units), and please note that for the 2 years in question I had no air conditioning units as I was installing a central heat and air system.

So my problem is this I cannot get anyone to listen to me this is robbery and they think they can get away with it because I cannot et power from any other source it is not available to me. I have much more information and substantiating evidence to back up my point.

Please contact me ASAP as I have no where else to turn. My Home address is 17531 Runnymede St. van Nuys ca, 91406, (818)342-3504, (818)268-1121 and my E-mail is COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_67688#

Sheri Thompson