AOL - AOL - subscriber for about 6 years - tried to cancel account - AOL operator was rude, demanding and very snide

Posted on Saturday, April 5th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 8930fd53

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

As I expected, I was asked a series of questions and the typical follow-up nonsense in their efforts to have me stay with them, with the typical free offers, etc. Additionally, they asked me service provider questions, and at two separate times, they put me on hold, under the auspices that she had to wait until my account screen came back up.

I stated from the beginning of the call that all I wanted was to cancel my account, PERIOD. What is it about PERIOD didn't she understand? By about her fourth forced irrelevant question, and my standard response, "All I would like to do is to cancel my account", she began to raise her voice.

This stand-off continued and by the time I repeated for the 10th time my refrain, she had already left her scripted response sheet and explaining nonsense about what her job entails, etc. Unbelievable.

What kept me from taking my tone up several notches was the fear that she would intentionally screw up my account. Asking for a supervisor would have been moot, as I knew I would get nothing other than a scripted but softer voice. This was not personal... she doesn't know me from Adam. She must learn that her hub does not require her to be outright rude and defiant to a customer who has paid many hundreds of dollars over the years for AOL.

Really Unbelievable. I recommend anyone dealing with AOL cancellation should tape record this transaction, else others would look at you in disbelief when you describe their telephone methods.

GOOD LUCK!