2000 Jetta TDI - 2000 Jetta TDI - 62,000 miles - cold weather caused diesel to gell up - had to have fuel filter replaced

Posted on Thursday, April 3rd, 2003 at 12:00am CST by 61785283

Company: 2000 Jetta TDI

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 62k miles on it. This winter in New Hampshire has been a cold one and one with many problems. One problem I had was my diesel gelling up on me. I had to have the car towed twice which cost me some and then have the fuel filter replaced as well as time maintenance cost.

This made me very angry because I was told that the new TDI engines do not need to be plugged in and I should not have a problem where I live. I also had to have my turbo charger replaces, which I believe was on the make since I got the car. I never had such power that I now have.

Of course nothing is covered under warranty now because of the car being 3 years old. I was wondering if any one else out there have had the same troubles or simular ones. I wonder if they are problems that came with the car or that maybe a recall should be in place.

This should not happen on a car so young, in my opinion. Please let me know if anyone else has had these problems or anything simular. Stephanie

e2deb927, 2008-12-18, 01:29PM CST

Well as far as your fuel gelling, that's a diesel thing. There isn't a diesel made that wont gel up at certain temps if you don't take care of the fuel. You need to put anti-gel additive in the tank, or make sure you're fueling up with a blended diesel before you expect very cold temps (close to zero and below).

As far as the turbo goes, I'm not sure what that's about. I will say that on turbo engines it is important to let it cool down before you turn off the engine off if you were running it hard. Those turbos impellers spin at 100K rpms, and they get hot when they're pushed hard. If you run the car hard, then shut it down right away, its possible for that impeller to be so hot that when it stops spinning the shaft will actually sag and warp. It only takes about one minute of idling to cool down your turbo.

It doesn't matter how new the car is, if it isn't handled properly it will break.