Posted on Tuesday, April 30th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 3c2b5215

Company: 2000 Nissan Sentra / Hawkinson Nissan of Matteson, IL / wasn't notified of recall issue

# 16 for April 29, 2002

November 20, 2006 - Business Reply - From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_24879#

Hawkinson Nissan posted April 28, 2002

Business Reply by the dealership's owner First of all, This customer is complaining that my dealership did not notify him of a recall. It is commonly known that Dealers are not responsible for notifying customers of Federally mandated recalls, the manufacturer is. Secondly, I tried to email this customer recently and his email address is defunct. Finally, this complaint is almost 5 years old. All of the above reasons dim any poor light on our business, which has won our Manufacturer's Award of Excellence 3 years in a row. This Award is the manufacturer's highest honor for Customer Satisfaction.

Bob Hawkingson

Owner/Managing Partner

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on April 28, 2002:

From: COURTNEY MACLEOD [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66217#]

RE: 2000 Nissan Sentra / Hawkinson Nissan of Matteson, IL / wasn't notified of recall issue

Hello. On Feb 14, 02 I was driving my 2000 Nissan Sentra at approx 70 MPH during rush hour on a toll way. When I pushed the gas pedal, my car shut down. I only had control over my brakes, steering, & radio. Luckily I was able to make it to the side of the road. I waited for a tow truck to take me to my dealership (Hawkinson Nissan of Matteson, IL; formerly Dave Miller Nissan). I was greeted with "well, we may have to charge you for the service." (even though I purchased the 100K mile warranty).

After waiting for an hour with no offer of a rental or dealer car, the service writer told me that there was a recall issued on my car. When I asked her when the recall was issued, she danced around the subject and told me that they have been checking people's cars as they are brought into the shop. Well, I had my car in for an oil change the Saturday prior to the 14th and obviously nobody looked for any recall or else I would not have been in the predicament I was in.

When I told the service writer that, she avoided the topic & gave me a "free" rental car for all of 3 hours. I went home & looked up recalls online & found the recall issued on my car. It was issued on 20 November 2001 and notification began in the beginning of December. I was NEVER EVER notified of any issues with my car.

When I returned to pick up my car, I inquired about this & I was told that it is not the dealer's responsibility to notify people, it is the Nissan Motor Corporation's responsibility to do so.

I called the customer care hotline & was treated rudely & the representative blatantly refused to connect me to a manager.

I was told that they send out the recall notices in "batches". Now, there was plenty of time to notify me of a recall....over 2 months actually. I have not received anything other than an "I'm sorry for your problem" from Nissan. I have complained to the dealership and the managers at the customer care line. I have gotten no results whatsoever. I would expect something more. I just hope that my situation does not happen to another person & cause an accident of some kind.

Courtney MacLeod

78c27d78, 2008-04-07, 08:58PM CDT

I have had problems with "dancing around" with the same dealership. They DID notify me of a simple wire harness recall just a few days ago, so they do indeed let people know. It may not be their responsibility, but they obviously know about the issue....and being #1, you would think that they would be able to tell you