Posted on Saturday, April 27th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 2c60db05

Company: 1997 Caddilac Deville - electric car starter trouble - warranty won't cover cost of replacing ignition unit

# 18 for April 26, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on April 25, 2002:

From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_24922#

RE: 1997 Caddilac Deville - electric car starter trouble - warranty won't cover cost of replacing ignition unit

Hi,

I own a 1997 Caddilac Deville. Around Christmas, I had an electric starter installed. This week my auto was sending me a computer message, "Theft system.... do not shut off the auto, it may not start again!" Well, I did shut the car off, the next morning, it didn't start.

I called AAA for a tow to the dealership! AAA arrives, the car starts. AAA recommends that I drive it to the Caddilac dealer and have it looked at.

The dealer mentions that the starter may be the problem because it is a foreign item, my warranty, which cost we $1700 will not cover the cost of the replacing the ignition unit!!!!! Dealer wants to blame the starter, which cost me $300 to have installed!!! Now, $421 for the dealers work!!!

Can you recommend a resolution???? I know neither dealer nor the starter installer wants to take the blame, but I'm out over $700!!! Isn;'t there a special Federal Act that states that warranties cannot be lost for such items being installed????

PLEASE HELP!! Caddy lady