Nestle candy - turble bite size candies - a candy was filled with maggots

Posted on Monday, April 22nd, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by 78fa97b9

Company: Nestle candy - turble bite size candies - a candy was filled with maggots

# 13 for April 21, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on April 20, 2002:

From: lvillell [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_25049#]

RE: Nestle candy - turble bite size candies - a candy was filled with maggots

Protein Packed Candy In January my husband purchased Nestle turtle candy from our local grocery store. They were the small bite size one in a bag. While we were talking one afternoon he handed me a couple and took two for him self as well. I opened the first one and ate it. It was strange in texture but did not pay much attention. I opened a second one, took a bite, and it too was strange in texture. I looked down and much to my surprise the candy was filled with maggots. I am sure all can imagine what happened next. That evening I found Nestle on the web and sent them the following angry email: January, 16,2002 I would like to have it explained to me how I can open a factory sealed package of your bite size turtle candies (which came from your plant individually wrapped with the seal still enact) and be greeted by a maggot filled piece of candy? To my knowledge maggots eat rotting flesh, so what could be in this candy they could survive on? The maggot infestation is not limited to just one piece, upon further inspection there are several packages which they are crawling from.

This container was purchased Monday January 14, 2002 from our local large chain grocery store; we have already consumed half of these turtles innocently snacking while we sat watching our television. We typically purchase turtles at the check out stand where the candy is in packages of three. This time because we enjoy the product we chose to purchase the large bag with individual wrapped candies. Since we humans are carnivores by nature I can now understand the craving fro your product. How ever I would rather make my own choices of which animal flesh I consume. Nor my husband or I consider maggot a viable source of protein. With in a day a young woman called from Nestles and said this was a common thing. That these were just food storage pest and I should not be concerned. I sent her the following email. Thank you for your quick response. I am not sure what if any thing you might have to say which would interest me. The lot number of your product is 0356 GN2 MC21K it is a product from Canada. I find your quality control program be of questionable standards. Since the plant is in Canada who is responsible for the inspection CFIA or the FDA? How could a plant where candy is processed have such apparent bad sanitation? I have written a quality assurance and HACCP program for livestock; and am involved with dietary supplement manufacturing, so I know your company should have controls and checks in place so that the candy which humans consume is free of biological contaminations. I have to wonder what part of what animal is in the product.

What if it was the head, was the spinal cord included. Was the candy temperature hot enough to kill any possible pathogen? At this point I am concerned about what this could possibly mean to me the consumer and my potential health risk eating your products. And the next person, and her email: Monday, January 28, 2002 Consumer Division of Nestle Lauren Vargas

Consumer Response Representative Ref: 7434746 My research shows that the initial control of food storage pest starts with your company. I would like to request following information from Nestle Under which federal agency was this product manufactured

What steps where taken to eliminate pest infestation at the processor level?

It is advised not to eat food that has been contaminated with food storage insects. Insects and other pests can introduce microbes into the food, what are these microbes? Moreover, what possible harm can they do to the consumer? Could any possible food born viruses be introduced?

Why were the perishable ingredients which were not processed, i.e. the nuts not refrigerated?

Thank you in advance for your help, After this woman I spoke with several others all shifting the blame. I finally spoke with the presidents assistant. She said they were sorry for any inconvenience I have had and offered me some free candy… I started doing some research and I am concerned. Why would a trusted company like Nestles, not have a quality control program in place to stop this type of thing from occurring. What is the possible microbial contamination they may be exposing we the consumers to? I have found that there are pests in nuts which are in turtles. These “pest” can be eliminated with refrigeration of the nuts. In my research I have found out that Nestles has a history of problems with it products. Even with its baby milk formula. [ Interestingly two products, which I quickly found reference to (baby formula, & Candy) are fed to our children who would not notice such problems.] So here are my questions? How long will we consumers have to be faced with contaminated products? When will Nestles have to come to terms with it lack of quality and correct their problems? What is the possible microbial contamination from eating “pests” and their by products? And by the way I still have a thriving little family of “pests” in a plastic zip bag still flourishing in their own little nestles turtle world. With new arrivals daily!

Yours Truly

Lisa M Villella

8ccbab9b, 2007-10-03, 12:54PM CDT

Nestle, not Nestles. "Nor my husband or i consider maggot a viable source of protein." Actually should be, "Neither my husband, nor I consider maggotS a viable source of protein." Seriously, if you are going to rant about something, please check your grammar.

b382582f, 2009-02-20, 10:59PM CST

This is insane. I just purchased a three-pack of Nestle Turtles from the gas station in my neighborhood and it each chocolate was covered in bugs. I nearly threw up. How is this acceptable??

b382582f, 2009-06-18, 01:52AM CDT

It is the information and NOT the grammar that is of the utmost importance in this post.

To the response bashing Ms. Villella's grammar: get your priorities straight and don't waste your time complaining about grammar and disregarding the point of the post.