Posted on Friday, April 12th, 2002 at 12:00am CDT by a676cb20

Company: General Electric Telephone, Model 29460GE2 - poor experience with GE Product Support

# 21 for April 11, 2002

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on April 10, 2002:

From: Donald Eubanks [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_25259#]

RE: General Electric Telephone, Model 29460GE2 - poor experience with GE Product Support

I ordered a General Electric Telephone, Model 29460GE2, from Office Depot and received it on 4/1/02. It has a phone directory that, according to the owners manual, 90 Names and Numbers can be stored in.

The problem is that when I started to store some names and numbers, I could not figure out how to put a space between the first and the last name . The manual tells how to store the names and numbers, but does not tell haw to enter a space. There is no obvious way to do so. I called the 800 no. in the manual on 4/2/02. You can not talk to a person at that no.

You are referred to different toll no's. to call depending, on why you are calling. I called the toll no. that I was referred to for product support. After being put on hold for the next available representative, one came on before too long. I told her the problem I was having. She put me on hold again for several minutes. When she came back, she informed me that she could not find that info.

She could not help me. I asked her if she could find the answer from someone or someplace and have someone call me back. She said that she would. I sent an e-mail to Office Depot and asked them if they could help. They said they could not because they didn't have an owners manual.

They told me to call the no. in the owners manual. I wrote back to them and told the them that I had done so and they were no help, so I wrote to them because their TV ads say we have what you need and what you need to know. I never got a rely to that.

That was on 4/2/02 when I called GE and I have not yet received a call from them. Today is 4/10/02. This is another example of the poor customer service that many companies seem to have adopted today.