Apple Inc - Faulty Hardware

Posted on Wednesday, August 6th, 2014 at 10:15am CDT by Jenine T.

Product: Apple iPad 4

Company: Apple Inc

Location: 767 5th Ave, New York, NY 10153, United States / Apple Company Store 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino, CA 95014
US

URL: apple.com

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

Recently, we have been let down by Apple. In March last year, we purchased three Apple products from Apple's 5th Avenue store, New York. I have attached proof of purchase.

Two of these products are iPads. This unwittingly became a test of the consistency of the product.

One iPad was kept by myself. I use my iPad on a daily basis for work and for play. It goes to the office with me, it travels with me, it goes on planes, trains, automobiles and even sometimes gets read in the tub. It gets used for a variety of media, and gets drained and recharged frequently. It gets treated with due care, but it certainly gets used plenty and could probably do with more TLC.

The other iPad was given to my mom who has exactly the same hardware cover. She uses hers exponentially less and it looks brand new. She uses it sparingly but consistently and has come to rely on it to check her emails and to surf the web. Last week, her iPad switched off when the battery was drained and and, has since, not switched back and fails to charge.

We have taken it in to the Sandton City iStore in Johannesburg, South Africa (this is where we live now). They had to restore it as a penultimate resort at trying to kickstart the iPad. Unfortunately, after an hour or so of trying, we were advised that the restore was unsuccessful. Apple staff member, Jonathan advised only option may be to trade it in and this may cost in the region of R3000 (approx $300).

Given the above, the possibility that we may have to pay such a large amount is unacceptable as this is quite clearly a manufacturing defect. The way I know this? My iPad is perfectly fine. We are not in a position to pay in this kind of money to get my mom's iPad back to working order.

Please advise what you are prepared to do to retain us as customers and to sort out this issue explained above, which we are understandably rather distraught over. I would appreciate if this matter could be escalated appropriately.

The problem now is that I currently reside in South Africa and Apple doesn't seem able to address the problem adequately.