PREPAID MOBILE SHOP LLC, GOGO Mobile LLC - Asked for my credit card and took a $299 without my consent

Posted on Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 at 4:56pm CDT by Omar

Product: prepaid sim card

Company: PREPAID MOBILE SHOP LLC, GOGO Mobile LLC

Location: 488 7th Ave. Ste. 3d New York, NY 10018
NEW YORK, NY, NY 10018, US

Category: Telecommunications

I am an international traveller visiting USA for the first time in my life, my bad luck took me to this cheep mobile shop to buy a prepaid sim card, the salesperson asked me for my credit card and he insisted that this is a regulation applied in all USA. I have him the credit card Plus $20 the sim card cost. He then printed me a recite with $299 taken from my credit card without my consent. When I complained about this, he said this is a requirement that we link your card with the sim and it will be used for authorisation purpose only and we have not charge you anything. When I went home, I noticed that the amount was taken from my card and never come back again. I write this simple review to warn people about my incident especially the new comers to the USA.

74cd02b2, 2014-05-11, 07:23PM CDT

I also had the same problem.

Shop is a scam and totally dishonest.

BE CAREFUL.

Micheline M., 2014-05-19, 08:37AM CDT

J'ai subi la meme mesaventure, en mars 2014, je suis allee dans cette boutique qui m'a facture 217 euros, en me disant que je serais remboursee dans un mois. Je n'ai toujours rien recu.

A mon avis, ce sont des VOLEURS !

carolina r., 2014-06-02, 02:00PM CDT

It happened to me the same! I bought a chip for $33 and a deposit of $ 149 + tax, now they are charging me the deposit with my credit card.

I can not believe that in a country like USA through this and nobody does anything.

SOME ARE SCAMMERS

Carolina Rodr?guez. Uruguay

john j., 2014-06-03, 02:50AM CDT

yes i was scamed by this company now trying to get money back it doesnt look like i will get it back so if any one neads a sim stay a way from gogo mobile they are scammers and they are liars

carolina r., 2014-06-03, 06:52AM CDT

John,

could you communicate with them? the phone numbers listed on the invoice does not receive calls and appearing on the Internet is out of use.

I live in Uruguay so I'm hiring a lawyer to put them demand

Olimpio M., 2014-06-05, 07:11PM CDT

I was robbed by this shop too : Prepaid mobile, 488 7th Ave, New York, NY, 10018.

I payed US $ 22.00 for 12 days using a prepaid Simple Mobile SIM card, and they asked me my credit card to complete the operation.

I asked the salesman why he needs my credit card, and he told me that was a normal practice, to warrant the cell operator (Simple Mobile) against misuse or overuse of its SIM card.

The salesman tolds me that after the contract finishing (12 days) the charge on my credit card would be "dropped" and no more charges would be made on my credit card.

I bought at Prepaid Mobile shop, the operator is Simple Mobile and oddly the credited company was Amazing Wireless World.

I?ve contacted Simple Mobile and notice them about this bad trick applied by this shop.

They are dishonest.

Don't trust on them.

Now I'm looking how to record a complaint on any New York City Authorities about this irregular operation.

79b7d7f6, 2014-06-06, 03:31PM CDT

Same thing happened to my friend from Italy. We went to the store and they wanted to sell her a sim card plus the phone. When I gave them my (us)credit card they charged her $158 instead of $35 for a phone and the card that she will never use past her 7 days in NYC. When I told them I will not pay for it, they made me pay for the useless sim card because they opened it from the original packaging ($32.63 cash). Not only that they yelled at my friend. I was so distressed that I wasn't even thinking about calling cops. I wish I did. Now I know what scammers those guys are and seeing other comments that we are not the only one taken advantage of.

For all the tourists out there - we went to AT&T store on 34th and 7th and got a phone and the sim card for $35 that worked really well here.

Omar, 2014-06-12, 09:47AM CDT

it seems there are many victims of this shop, that mean the shop is still running and ready to deceive many other people (unbelievable this happen in Newyork), anyway I raised a dispute to my bank and they promised me to get my money back, if you were rubbed by this shop contact your bank and raise a dispute.

c366c84f, 2014-06-12, 09:35PM CDT

I got my refund back 180 days. I was initially very scared and I didn't think I was going to get my money back. I emailed them my transaction number and the amount and they refunded my money back. Here is the email : [email protected]

73f43b72, 2014-06-16, 11:11AM CDT

THANK YOU!! I finally got my money back as well. Those guys didn't help but they provided me with the email and I'm very happy to say I GOT MY MONEY. I advise everyone to email the company directly at [email protected] They are quick to respond and are very helpful.

Alexandra G., 2014-06-28, 03:33PM CDT

I got the same thing of you guys.

I sent an e mail to [email protected] They replied me

"Good Afternoon Prepaid Mobile Customer,

In order for us to start processing your rebate back to the credit/debit on file we need your transaction number. Thanks for your patronage.

Rebates Team

Prepaid Mobile Shop LLC"

Should I give my credit card number ?

Alexandra G., 2014-06-28, 03:37PM CDT

Hi

I sent an email to [email protected] and they replied me :

"Good Afternoon Prepaid Mobile Customer,

Rebates Team

Prepaid Mobile Shop LLC"

Should I give them my credit card number, I am kind of scared now...

bob G., 2014-07-03, 07:51PM CDT

Guys this is not a scam the same thing almost happened to me. They give you two options, option A pay for you sim card and your activation fee. Option B they waive your activation & sim card fee then you have to have a credit limit depending on how many days/months your visiting America and how many sim cards your purchasing. Just make sure you pay attention to the sales associates when they're explaining the plan to you. I chose option A the never asked me for my credit card. Even if you choose option B that money is reimbursable you just have to follow the guidelines of the agreement they give you. Just be careful not to fall into option B because if you cancel it is a $99.99 cancellation fee. My suggestion for you guys just wait out the 180 days and your money will go back to you.

Claire G., 2014-07-21, 09:32AM CDT

Hey!

Same thing happened to me. I was charged the full amount even though I was never informed. Then the phone I got didn't even work so I went back to the store numerous times! One of the guys working there was extremely rude and aggressive and finally I spoke to who I think was the manager. I told him I didn't want the phone as it was useless - I returned the phone and was promised that I would not be charged but surprise, surprise I was charged!

I am currently disputing the transaction but my credit card company need confirmation that I returned the phone so the saga continues! Stay away from this company a payphone is a safer option!!!

Claire (Ireland)

sam r., 2014-07-29, 01:12PM CDT

Hello All,The same think happen with me and this guys are not at all responding me. Yesterday I went to there shop at 36ST 7 Ave. But I did not get any satisfactory option.

I am end up with paying $217 this guys are damn froud.

I am thinking about going to NYPD if they did not respond me back on my mail Id.

f9792379, 2014-07-29, 09:39PM CDT

Thanks a lot for the email address. I was able to get my deposit back after 180 days. YAY.

Jessica H., 2014-08-01, 11:50AM CDT

Hey I messed up as we'll by picking option B but it's been 76 days and I got my money back as we'll. Overall the customer service wasn't bad but maybe I should have paid attention a little more to what the sales associate was saying. Overall my phone works great and the service worked all over America. But the deposit hold on my credit card did put a little damper on my vacation.

eacea4bd, 2014-08-04, 09:43AM CDT

Had the exact same story, unfortunately, I did not check about the shop before buying the SIM (data card). I sent an e.mail to the company, and will update if I'll get my money back!

Anne D., 2014-08-05, 03:45PM CDT

The same happened to me! Now I am staying for 6 months and I will have a different number every month! And they charged the amount of 217,00 on my credit card also!

Now I have to go to the store every month because I can't activate my phone online, otherwise I will be charged again!!!

eacea4bd, 2014-08-08, 06:50AM CDT

I am collecting information from people who been scammed by this store in order to go to the press.

Please send me your stories to: [email protected]

2ea65c6f, 2014-08-08, 10:38AM CDT

Hi,

I visited this store last year and I was greeted very well by the staff but I didn't fully understand the store policy because I was in a rush. I ended by being charged an extra $217 which they told me was due to excessive international calling. I was unhappy that I had to wait but today I was finally refunded the full amount. I advise to shop elsewhere to avoid stress!!!

0fc57b49, 2014-08-08, 10:57AM CDT

Hello All,

I have a solution to this problem. I have been in touch with one of the reps from the store who has helped me tremendously. I highly suggest that you contact him by emailing at:

[email protected]

Also remember to put attention: CHUCK

That guy is so good! He was able to get my refund and free service for a month.

eacea4bd, 2014-08-12, 03:12AM CDT

Unfortunately, Chuck didn't help me.

Thank you guys for sending me your details, but I need a few more, in order to go to the press. So, please keep sending me!!

We're talking here about thousands of dollars!!

My e.mail: [email protected]

d1fd3e3a, 2014-08-13, 05:36PM CDT

I also got ripped off at this place. After getting 2 X $22 sim cards the night we arrived and heading back to my motel room, I suspected something was a bit off. I looked at the paperwork that this shop provided and only then realised that they had processed $217 X 2 for the 2 sims that we had purchased. I was so angry and headed back to the shop the following morning to complain. This ended up being a stand up argument, and a number of lies and false promises that I would get my money back when I got back to Australia, but I refused to leave until the issue was resolved. I had the charges recredited to my card. Thanks to this website, I was able to get back to the shop as soon as I realised I had been ripped off and get my money back. I have nothing good to say about this place and the staff prey on unsuspecting tourists. I will happily provide my details to stop these criminals from ripping other unsuspecting tourists off.

a0080466, 2014-08-13, 09:41PM CDT

I used to work there trust me u will never see your money I'm 100% sure u not. the only way is to call consumer affairs or go personally to the office and also the better Business Bureau trust me. Also they going to keep telling you about 180days that's bullshit and if they tell u we put a search ticket that's bull shit to be carful

Olival F., 2014-08-14, 12:06PM CDT

On August 4th, I bought a Nexus 5 handset at this Prepaid Mobile store. I wanted an unlocked cell phone to be used abroad, mainly in my country, and I asked the seller, a young man called Hector, the kind of discount he could offer. He explained that the full price was $399,99, but I could have a discount paying $325 under the conditions of not using American carriers in the next 180 days. He explained that the full value would be kept on hold on my credit card for the case I do not fulfill the agreement. We set the deal.

However, when I saw my credit card facture today I noticed I was charged twice, both for the discount value and the full price. Thus my credit card was charged for AMAZING WIRELESS WORLD NEW YORK both $353.84 (discount value plus tax) and $435.49 (full price plus tax).

This was not the deal I set ! To keep on hold on your card is not to be charged for eventual reimbursement. To keep on hold is not rebate ! Even if I would receive one of this value after 180 days, this is not a fair deal ! I am sure in a legal dispute about this they would loose the dispute, not to say their marked credibility. Any way, I just cannot keep about $400 in their pockets for 180 days. Neither I can trust I will be alive to get it back nor I can trust they will be in business after six months.

I called the store and they told me to not worry and advised me to write to [email protected] that the issue would be solved. I did it, I got automatic answers but till now, one week later, no real answer. It clearly a scam.

c40457cd, 2014-08-14, 01:16PM CDT

I bought an iPhone 5S in January and I finally got my refund back for $299.99. I emailed them last week and I received money back on my card. I'm so thankful now but I was upset because I didn't understand the 180 days thing. They told me if I wanted it earlier, I would have to pay a cancellation fee of $100.00 and the money would be returned immediately. If you want your money back fast, tell them to charge the cancellation fee and return the rest back.

eacea4bd, 2014-08-15, 02:58AM CDT

Do not give them any more money!! this cancellation fee will go away with the rest of your money!

eacea4bd, 2014-08-17, 11:18AM CDT

Ha! guess what? I sent another mail to "Chuck", but received the exact same comment, although I asked a completely different thing... so I guess there is no one really reading the mails we are sending to [email protected] It's an automated response! Sorry people, but going to the press is our only chance, so please keep sending me massages with your stories to: [email protected]