RITE AID PHARMACY - RITE AID DENIES MANUFACTURERS REBATES

Posted on Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 at 7:31pm CST by Steve S.

Product: PHARMACY

Company: RITE AID PHARMACY

Location: HARRISBURG, PA
US

Category: Health, Beauty

For over six months I have been taking a prescription medication for which the manufacturer cooperates in reducing my co-pay from $20/month to $10. At the time of requesting a monthly refill, the manufacturer issued ID card is also submitted to obtain the discount.

On the most recent prescription request, the discount was denied by RITE AID pharmacy. Upon calling the pharmaceutical manufacturer I was told authorization for the discount was granted then the pharmacy called back the same day and cancelled the rebate request.

Talking to RITE AID headquarters, in Harrisburg, PA, they said there was no reason the rebate should be denied. I left my name and number when told that the area pharmacy manager would get in touch with me. Within an hour I received a phone call from not from a manager but the local RITE AID pharmacy where the manufacturers rebate was denied. I was told it was ?corporate policy? to deny manufacturers rebates or discounts to the customer ?if the insurance coverage was part of a government program.? During my conversation with RITE AID corporate headquarters I was told there was no reason the rebate should be denied. Blue Shield is not a government program and what difference should it make if the discount or rebate is from the manufacturer to the customer. The call from the pharmacy to me assured that the prescription would be filled in a day or two and I would be allowed the manufacturers discount.

I can?t prove it but there is suspicion on my part that the objective was to collect the higher co-pay from me, and also the manufacturer?s contribution as well.

All pharmacy customers, especially senior citizens, should carefully question any transaction where anticipated credits, rebates or discounts are suddenly and mysteriously denied.