Papa John's Pizza - Overcharging and poor customer service

Posted on Thursday, January 30th, 2014 at 10:46am CST by 2bf332de

Product: Poor customer service and overcharging

Company: Papa John's Pizza

Location: 2002 Papa Johns Blvd
LOUISVILLE, KY, 40299, US

URL: www.papajohns.com

Category: Food

I believe Papa Johns has, in certain cases, been overcharging cutomers regarding their 30 cent special. All their advertising and websites (http://ir.papajohns.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=816758) clearly state

"Through Jan 26, 2014, get a large one-topping pizza for just 30 cents with the purchase of any large pizza at regular menu price."

It clearly states the deal is with the purchase of ANY large pizza. When I ordered a large cheese pizza for $12.75, I expected to receive a large pepperoni for an additional 30 cents. Since the plain cheese was less than the pepperoni, they tried to charge me the full price of the more expensive pepperoni and give me the cheaper cheese pizza for 30 cents. When I asked them to explain their calculations, I was told that's the way the register computes it. This occurred at more than one location.

I called their customer service number (877-547-7272) on Jan 20, 2014 to ask about this and was told that's the way it is done in New Jersey. I wanted to find out more and was told I would receive a call within three days. It's been a week and nobody has called. I then called the main office on Jan 27, and asked to speak with someone. Their operator transferred me to voice mail to leave a message. No call by Jan 30.

Robert Allyn L., 2014-01-30, 03:13PM CST

Ahhhh, yes

Small print reads something like this: (Paraphrased) .30 cent special on same or lower priced item.

Not rip off or scam, just the way every business has ever done these sales for ever.

2bf332de, 2014-01-30, 04:34PM CST

On one hand, I hope you are correct and that they weren't doing anything wrong. On the other hand, I can not find the "small print" in their press release or commercials or ads and would appreciate anyone telling me where to find it, if it exists. Perhaps it is SO small, I missed it but I would consider that false advertising also.

No matter what, THAT is why I called and asked before saying or posting anything. Customer Service said I'd get a call within three days and it's been well over a week. Then I left a message with my question at their executive offices and have not heard from them either. That's no way to run a business even it they do choose to be sneaky and misleading.