Microsoft Corporation - Microsoft's Continuing Poor Support

Location: 1 Microsoft Way
REDMOND, WA, 98052, US

URL: http://www.microsoft.com/

Category: Computers, Software

Two weeks ago, on December 26, 2013, as a result of an issue or issues with Windows 8.1, it appears, that my most important email account became corrupted and I could not run Outlook. I reported this problem to a second level Microsoft Support person who was working on my computer and also called Office Support about it. Office Support refused to try to resolve the issue until Windows was repaired. To make matters worse, Microsoft's "tool" to fix the damaged file which was supposed to be on the computer was not so it took additional time to find it on the Internet and download it. I later got Outlook to run but I couldn't fix my main account.

On January 6, 2014, Microsoft (MS) Support called at 1:48 p.m. as a result of a second level MS Windows Support person setting up a call back to help with Windows issues. Instead, it was Office Support, I understood and they said they or he would call back. At approximately 2:20 p.m. Support called and we talked and then finished at 2:37 p.m. but fixed nothing. Second level Office Support called again and I was on the phone with them for approximately 1 1/4 hours, I believe. He could not resolve the issue with Outlook and in the process he added files to the Outlook Files folder and he also deleted an unrelated email account. I requested that he basically restore the Outlook Files folder but he said he would call back and do that but after four days he still hasn't.

While speaking to the previous MS Office Support person, I also requested to speak to a Supervisor and he said that one would call. A Supervisor called later at approximately 7:25 p.m., I believe, and we talked for 1 1/4 hours. After all of this, I was told that they couldn't fix the corrupted Outlook pst file which was caused perhaps by a Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade. (Actually in approximately two months, the computer was upgraded once and three in-place Windows repairs were done where Windows 8 was reinstalled.) Both I and the MS Support person found that MS's own repair tool was worthless so the damaged file could not be fixed. (According to information available on the Internet, MS's tool to fix damaged pst files is known to not work well, that's why there are third party companies that make better repair tools.) The Supervisor told me he would call back, it sounded fairly soon to help resolve this issue but four days later, he still hasn't called.

On January 9, 2014, I called MS Support because I finally noticed that I wasn't receiving emails (some rather important) in the account that was deleted by the 2nd level Support person that worked on Outlook four days earlier. Because of the long hold time, I choose to be called back. They called and I was on phone for 2 hours and 17 minutes to try to resolve the issue that the previous MS Support person caused (second level Support) by deleting an account and then could not receive emails for 4 days. He refused to take control of the computer which would have helped shorten the time on the phone and acknowledged he couldn't fix the problem. At 1:02 p.m., he told me that his Supervisor would give me a call after he was done with a few calls. As of 10:06 p.m., there has been no call. He set up a call-back time for tomorrow only after pressing the issue a bit since I couldn't get the issue resolved today--so it's another day I have to wait to hopefully get Outlook working a little better.