Braverman Eye Center - PresbyLasik surgery messed up my vision

Posted on Sunday, December 15th, 2013 at 7:58pm CST by terry f.

Product: PresbyLasik Eye Surgery

Company: Braverman Eye Center

Location: Braverman Eye Center 1935 E Hallandale Beach Blvd Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
HALLENDALE BEACH, FL, US

URL: http://www.bravermaneyecenter.com/

Category: Health, Beauty

I had surgery done at Dr Braverman in August 2013. My eyes were not too bad when I started, now I struggle to pass the DMV eye tests which I never did before. I was very disappointed with the surgery and would not recommend this company to anyone considering surgery. I spent almost $3000 to ruin my distance vision. I wish I had gone elsewhere. Please do you research carefully and remember to ask as many questions as you can.

I am 48 years old and like many of us struggle to see things close up. This comes with age I guess. Last year I went to an eye center to consider Lasik. The doctor said he could cure my close up vision in one eye but that it would be a trade off and that it would compromise my distance vision. The cost for the monovision treatment on one eye would be $1500. He inserted a contact lens into the eye to show me the results and suggested I leave it in for a week. Reading close up was GREAT. I was almost hooked. However, when outside, I covered the unaffected eye and tried to read signs, on stores and road signs and they were blurry. I do quite a bit of driving and figured it was simply not worth compromising my distance vision to fix close up which could be easily assisted with reading glasses. I decided to wait until better technology came along.

Around this summer, I stumbled on an article about Presbylasik. This was a new treatment, still in testing stage in the USA so not yet FDA approved (though it was already approved in many European countries). This exciting treatment supposedly cured near and distance vision all in one go with two shots on the laser at the same surgery sitting. It sounded like the answer to my prayers.

I researched many eye centers and spoke to Rosemary Hartford at Dr Bravermans eye center at Hallendale Beach in south Florida.

I scheduled an appointment and had a battery of tests. I then met Dr Braverman who said that he suggested doing just one eye as the other was not bad enough for Lasik at this point. He explained that the revolution presby treatment involved shooting the laser to reshape a part of the eye to correct the close up vision, then recalibrating the laser and firing again (for an extra $600) to correct the distance vision. This sounded perfect.

At no time did they ever say that it could ruin my distance vision. They just said that in almost all case it was a complete success. I signed all the usual disclaimers of course. Because this is an off label non approved treatment, insurance companies to not cover it here and I had the pay the $2500+ cost in cash.

Dr Bravermans office is very impressive and lots of articles stating how great he is on the walls and pictures of him rubbing shoulders with the starts, I felt in very safe hands.

Came the day of treatment, all seemed OK, it was painless as they said, they fired the first laser, recalibrated it, (they had said something like it tracks the eye 400 times a second to ensure it cannot go off target). Fired again and said all was great. They send me home.

My close up vision was super improved almost immediately. I was concerned that my distance had greatly deteriorated. I could not even read tags of the vehicles in front of me, nor road signs, nor makes of cars, not even writing a few feet away. This seemed just like the monovision treatment that I had refused the year before. I was very unhappy. I emailed Rosemary about this and my distance vision concerns and she brushed me off with the following.

Please do not be concerned. This procedure can take a few months

for the final result. You may notice some fluctuations and subtle changes

but it will improve. We did not expect your distance vision in this eye

to be good right now.

I stayed patient and had some follow up appointments at a local eye specialist. Then came the bombshell. In October I went to the DMV to renew my license. I COULD NOT READ THE SIMPLE LETTERS IN THE EYE MACHINE WITH MY LASIK OPERATED EYE. This was devastating to me, I had never struggled with an eye test in the past and was shocked. I explained I had recently had Lasik and she said I should try again. I read 2 of the 4 and could not get the 3rd. She said to try so I guessed it (I knew it was one of 3 letters but could not tell which), she was I was correct and to try the 4th. I simply could not get it I could not even guess. Fortunately she said I only needed to get 3 of the 4 so I got my license. But as you can imagine I was extremely worried about this. 2 months after surgery and I almost failed a basic DMV eye test that I had always sailed through before. Worst still the great close up reading had settled down to be not so great and was now just the same as my other eye. I cannot even read the brand name of my TV on the so called ?corrected? eye.

I urgently emailed Dr Bravermans surgery again (telling them of my DMV eye test nightmare) and Rosemary replied with the following

You are just 8 weeks out from surgery and you are right on course.

Remember that the presby treatment takes longer to settle. We did not

expect your distance vision in your treated eye to be perfect right away.

It may take several months. Your next appt here is 11/18 at 3:00 and we

will see how you are doing.

We have to wait to see that you are stable and not changing any more

before an enhancement would be considered.

I again felt I was just being given the brush off. Before I started they said that if correction was needed it would be given free of charge, now I was just being fobbed off despite my clear distance vision problems.

I am now reluctant to have any more Lasik done as if they correct it, I will either end up as I started, or possibly with even worse distance vision.

I am going to save up a bit more and get multifocal lenses installed instead.

So a word of warning for anyone considering using Dr Bravermans services. Ask may questions about what can go wrong and how they will remedy it if it does and get something in writing. Don?t fall for their schmooze. I regret falling for their sales talk and wish I had never had this surgery done. At least the monovision place were honest in telling me the potential outcome, this company told me they would fix close up without compromising distance. Yet here I am not being able to read anything more than a few feet away. A nightmare experience I am sure you will agree. Be very careful when deciding on eye surgery, you only have one pair of eyes, don?t entrust them to someone unless you are very very confident they will do the job you are paying for, otherwise you may end up out of pocket and with worse eyesight than you started with as in my case

Business Reply  Rosemary H., 2013-12-28, 11:18PM CST

Dear Terry

I am very upset to hear that you feel you did not get a good procedure here at the Braverman Eye Center. I try to do my best to make each patient's experience a pleasant one. We mentioned many times that your procedure, Hyperopic PresbyLasik of the right eye, takes time to heal and that your distance vision in the treated eye would not be good for some time. I apologize that I did not convey this information to you so that you would fully understand. I thought that I had fully conveyed this to you.

We corresponded via email on many occasions and I answered all your questions in a timely manner.

As you live a fair distance away, we even referred you to an excellent Optomerist closer to you so you would not have to travel as much for routine post op appts but you were welcome to come in to see Dr Braverman at any time. Your next scheduled appointment is February 18th but if you would like to come in sooner, just let me know. With this procedure, to do an enhancement now would be irresponsible. Once Dr Braverman sees that your vision has stabilized, an enhancement, if needed, would be done at no charge as promised. The Braverman Eye Center stands by it's word.

Rosemary Hartford

terry f., 2013-12-30, 09:03AM CST

How unprofessional of you to post personal medial details online for the public to view, you could have made a general response and emailed me the personal information such as appointment times.

You never once mentioned to me that this 'revolutionary' surgery may lead me to fail a DMV eye test. I have never struggled with an eye test before have this 'corrective' surgery at the Braverman Eye Center which clearly made my vision worse.

I shall go elsewhere to have my eyes repaired as I feel that your company does not care and is simply a production line only interested in the money. Even the girl who examined me in August when I came back was clearly an intern gaining work experience She actually told me that my surgery would obviously lead to distance problems as it was monovision lasik until I pointed out that I had PresbyLasik surgery performed, which is a different treatment designed to cure both close and distance, she then apologized and got somebody with a little more experience to take over the exam.

The simple fact is I am now thousands out of pocket and with worse vision than when I began this journey.

Business Reply  Rosemary H., 2014-01-16, 04:35PM CST

Terry,

I am happy to respond to this PUBLIC complaint. Before surgery, in spite of what you were saying in your complaint, you were not 20/20 without correction in the right eye at distance or near. Lasik is cosmetic and insurance does not pay for it. It is like a cosmetic facelift of your eyes. PresbyLasik in far sighted eyes continues to change and improve for a minimum of four months but up to ten months after surgery. No touchups should be done until the treated eye is healed and stable.

You now live in **** and did not want to return here to be seen. We understand that it is quite a drive, and therefore asked you to see a very good optometrist in ****** for follow-up. However, we are happy to see you anytime.

There is a 5% chance in far sighted eyes in our series for the need for a touchup. Stated another way, with only the initial PresbyLasik procedure, 95% of farsighted patient?s eyes were happy when all the healing had occurred. You are still healing.

If we treat you too early before full healing and stability are present, it could make your vision regress to what you were before your PresbyLasik surgery. You had been counseled in great detail before the surgery about the long time it takes for healing and stability. Rosemary and I explain this in great detail to every patient during the pre-operative evaluation. If you need a touchup, it is done at no charge. However sound medical judgement warrants waiting for stability and full healing before even considering a touchup.

I am happy to see you any time. I will not, and never have, abandoned a patient. Thus far, this procedure has made patients very happy, and my goal is to make you happy as well.

By the way, this complaint is a matter of public record, and I did not feel that Rosemary's response to you was in any way non-professional. If there are any further comments, please come in to the office, and I will be happy to address your comments.

Sincerely

Stanley Braverman MD FACS

terry f., 2014-01-18, 11:49AM CST

Dr Braverman

thanks for the response but I take issue with your interpretation. My right eye had good distance vision when I came to see you.

Last year I went to consider lasik and the doctor gave me a contact lens to test on my right eye, the results were great, I could read close up immediately. He said 'but wait, now go outside and check it' I went outside and struggled to read roadsigns at a distance so went back in to say I was unsure, he said to leave it for a week and the decide. Monolasik was a trade off and that I would lose some distance vision.

I left it a week then decided against it, I did too much driving and valued my distance vision, I said I would wait for better technology to be available.

I then discovered Presbylasik and came to visit you and told you this story,. You said that it was in fact true that close up vision could be corrected without compromising distance vision.,

You speak about about my vision regressing to what is was before surgery, my distance vision was never this bad, even now FIVE MONTHS after surgery I cannot read a car lisense plate 20 feet in front of me, I cannot even read the make or model of car, I could read all this stuff clearly before my surgery. I am dreading my next DMV eye test as I struggled with the last one.

I stand by my original posting that Presbylasik surgery ruined my vision and shall post this on other review websites when I get time just so people know the real risks which you never explained to me, not once did you say my vision may be substantially worse, you just said there were varying degrees of success but either 80 or 90% if I recall.

I shall have my eyes fixed elsewhere and post the result here in future.

david h., 2014-02-01, 09:10AM CST

Thanks for the post, I was going to get my eyes done here but after seeing the good Doctors reply, I will go elsewhere.

It seems to me that his attitude stinks, he is just getting defensive instead of fixing the poor guys vision that he clearly screwed up.

Total BS about not abandoning patients, no apology from him. I would be freaking out if he damaged my eyes to such an extent

I found a different surgeon in Miami, one that is not so full of himself.

If I were you, I would sue his ass.