Costco Concierge - Costco Extended Warranty Thumbs Down

Posted on Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013 at 7:34pm CDT by Bob D.

Company: Costco Concierge

Category: Computers, Software

A year ago, I purchased a Dell laptop with an extended 2 year warranty. I had a keyboard problem today and had to call service. There are a number of keys on the top row that are not working, it is clearly a mechanical problem as an external keyboard works.

As additional background, I have worked in IT for 30 years, many of those managing support teams, so it is fair for me to call myself an expert in this field.

A laptop keyboard costs about $15 retail and takes about 3 or 4 minutes to install for someone who knows what they are doing.

So I am on the phone with service when they told me that the procedure required me to reformat my hard drive to set it back to "factory" to ensure it is not a software problem.

Doing so would probably cost me 8 to 10 hours of my time - to reinstall and reconfigure everything; and a Costco Concierge service technician would need to stay on the phone for hours while it was done; and in the end, you'd still have to replace the keyboard.

That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my entire career. Whoever set that process in place does not know what they are doing and should not be allowed anywhere near a computer, for fear they might hurt themselves.

Obviously, I chose to end the call with service rather than to comply with a procedure that requires me to hit myself in side of my head with a hammer in order to kill a mosquito that is biting my ear.

So I guess I am out of luck on the extended warranty I was promised and I guess I ought to be telling others to run fast from the Costco extended warranty deals.