Honda Canada - Honda Generator Fire!

Posted on Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013 at 4:59pm CDT by Caroline B.

Product: Honda Generator EU2000i

Company: Honda Canada

Location: ON, CA

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

My husband, Nick, and I have found ourselves in a bit of a battle with Honda Canada. The notion of customer service is not high on their priority list and Nick and I have been left with no answers, no product, and a concern for other Honda customers.

In August we bought a Honda generator. We took it camping 4 days after we bought it. The first night we started it to heat our tent trailer, where our 2 kids were already sleeping, when we went to bed. It had only been running for maybe an hour when it started on fire. This quickly spread to some forest (to be specific 2 trees and about 3 feet square of ground). Luckily a man came out of his trailer to pee and saw the flames so he and Nick managed to put it out before it got completely out of control. Had he not seen the fire I don't know what would have happened and it makes me sick to even think about it.

The day after we got home Nick took the melted generator back to Rocky Mountain Honda in Calgary, where we had purchased it.

Instantly they refused to get involved saying it could be a legal matter. We had to deal with Honda Canada directly. That was fine. We have now spent the last 7 weeks being interrogated about this incident. The generator was shipped back to Ontario to be analyzed. They kept asking us if we had anything else to tell them - if perhaps the tree next to the generator magically started on fire first, if we had it sitting on it's side or in a pool of gasoline. It went on and on.

We have been cooperative because we honestly want to get to the bottom of what happened so that no one else goes through it.

So on October 8, 2013 I finally got a call that they will give us a new generator. We have to sign a release form for the damaged one and they will give us a new one. When I asked what they had discovered, the customer service rep. simply said "do you really want to go there Miss Boyd?". Of course I do! I just spent 7 weeks waiting to find out what happened.

They have determined that, yes in fact, something other than the generator started the fire and it was simply a "victim".

We have pictures of the thing and there is no way a magic forest fire could destroy a generator that way. It was a pile of molten plastic. So I told him I was uncomfortable with this conclusion. I expressed my concern, however I have been assured that they have "reached a solution and decision". To Honda this matter is closed.

At this point I honestly don't want to own a Honda product. This is no longer about getting a replacement, or getting our money back, this is about finding out what happened in hopes that no one else experiences the fire, the bullying and the forced admission of guilt.