drugstore.com - Fake Orders Being Processed without verification

Posted on Saturday, September 28th, 2013 at 6:02pm CDT by Lisa W.

Company: drugstore.com

Location: 411 108th Ave NE, Suite 1600
BELLEVUE, WA, 98004, US

URL: www.drugstore.com

Category: Online Scams

On 09/27/2013 I received an email telling me drugstore.com was "unable to process my order" and I needed to contact them immediately.

I had not used my online account for about a year so I was concerned and went to the site to investigate.

Although I did not authorize it, there was a credit card number stored with the account information and past order. Thankfully, the card was cancelled not long after the initial order was placed.

There was an order pending for a repeat of the initial order PLUS a $200 gift card "to be sent by email".

I immediately contacted Customer Service to A) cancel the order immediately, B) cancel the account immediately and C) provide the email address the card was to be sent to.

The response I got was that it was being researched but "We were successful in canceling your order #03329049594100, you will receive a confirmation email shortly.

Unfortunately, we do not have access as to which email address the gift card was going to be sent to. The order was to be shipped to: (my Mom, the original recipient of the first order).

Shortly afterward, I received an email advising the order was successfully cancelled and:

Canceled order details for #03329049594100

Placed on: 9/18/2013 at 10:12pm

This portion of your order has been canceled.

Qty Product Price

1 Gift Certificate

e-mail to: [email protected] $200.00

So, either the person using that email address is working within the drugstore.com system or the email I got was just a lazy employee trying to make me stop pursuing this.

I tried to research the yahoo email address but have gotten dead ends at every attempt. If that credit card had been a valid one, I would have been out $200 PLUS (there was a second portion to the order of actual product).

drugstore.com stored that credit card without my permission along with the CVV number and there were no steps to verify why the card was being sent to a different email address than the one on my account. Not only was the account hacked but, it was also the fault of drugstore.com for not having checked before processing it. If not for a dead credit card, this order would have been processed and there would have been nothing I could have done.

I still cannot get them to completely delete the account and there is no way to delete the credit card info (although a moot point)so I imagine this is happening to more folks using the site. Please look into this and get the company to add security measures or stop storing personal info without our permission!

Lisa A Walker