Magic Jack - Magic Jack Live "Help" Session-You Decide

Posted on Thursday, September 12th, 2013 at 4:12pm CDT by a54747ec

Company: Magic Jack

Category: Telecommunications

Here's a copy of the live chat 'help' session I had with their customer service. As you can see by the comments made by "Ronny" their preferred solution to the problem was for me to spend money. No offers to have me talk to a supervisor just repeating the TOS and refusing to look further into the problem which arose out of nowhere. Finally, the chat was closed with no warning, no real answers and no opportunity for me to respond to the last comment. I have been with them for 2 years with 4 years to go on my 5 year extension. I am sincerely sorry I ever extended it.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Ronny'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK11153014068910X

Ronny: Hello, how may I help you?

Ronny: Hi I'm Ronny. i will be assisting you for today, May i know what is your concern for today?

Lori: Hi, I have a number I used to call without any problems, but now when I call it, I get a message saying I have to buy minutes to call it. It is in the US.

Lori: The number is: 541-***-****

Ronny: Please wait while I check that for you

Ronny: Thank you for waiting, may i know what establishment you are trying to call?

Lori: Azure Standard...a mail order business specializing in natural and healthy products.

Ronny: are you calling a government number?

Lori: no

Ronny: calling to other number seems no problem right?

Lori: any other number is working fine.

Ronny: good.

Ronny: let me explain

Ronny: In the Terms of Service: magicjack.com/tos

Ronny: Agreement Number 4. What Is Free and What is Not:

Ronny: "We may require prepaid purchase and/or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier."

Ronny: magicJack completes calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls in conjunction with large phone carriers and these calls require a prepaid purchase. Please know that these rates are at a substantial discount to Verizon rates and the other largest carriers and are the wholesale rates of the largest carrier.

Lori: i can call their warehouse without any problem

Ronny: yes that is right.

Lori: another local customer was also able to call them for months after I was unable to.

Ronny: but if you heard about getting prepaid minutes, you will need to purchase a minutes so that the call will go through

Lori: she also uses magic jack

Lori: why is it necessary for me to do that long before it was necessary for the other lady?

Ronny: you mean you are calling a magicjack user also?

Lori: no, another lady just down the road from me also uses magicjack. she is also an Azure Standard customer. She was able to call them using Magicjack for months after I started getting the recording. Finally, about six months later, she got the recording as well. Why the discrepancy?

Ronny: i see

Ronny: but since if you heard that message, you will need to purchase a ipp for that

Ronny: inorder for the calls to go through.

Lori: so basically, you are saying that I have to buy minutes if I want to call that number.

Ronny: Yes

Lori: and that anytime you want to put that recording on another number, I'll have to buy minutes for that one too?

Ronny: Yes

Ronny: please click here

Lori: then what goood is my magic jack? I got it because I don't have long distance. And now you are saying it is useless?

Ronny: please click on the link above first

Lori: i've clicked on it.

Ronny: are you login now?

Lori: yes

Ronny: okay.

Ronny: if you want your call to go through, you may just go to international tab and you may select an option foro $10,$20,$40 for the ipp.

Lori: that's ridiculous.

Lori: this IS NOT an international number.

Ronny: let me explain

Lori: I'm calling Oregon from New Mexico. I call Oregon from New Mexico all the time without having to buy international minutes.

Ronny: Customer Contract

To view the Terms of Service (TOS) click here or visit http://www.magicjack.com/tos/.

Ronny: Please click on the link above

Lori: BTW. New Mexico is also a US state...little known fact.

Ronny: and refer on the article #4

Lori: so, why did I start getting this recording 6 months before my friend started getting it?

Lori: that tells me this is bogus.

Lori: If she could call it for free, why couldn't I?

Ronny: no this is not

Ronny: did you click on the link above?

Lori: I did click on the link.

Ronny: did you read the article number #4?

Lori: I want to know why I was getting the recording 6 months before my friend was.

Ronny: did you read the article number #4?

Lori: the time difference in receiving the messages tells me this is bogus.

Lori: yes I read article #4.

Ronny: good.

Ronny: that is the explanation why you are getting a recording message

Lori: $10 to make a 2 minute call is ridculous. Especially when the minutes will expire in 6 months.

Ronny: Yes. that is right.

Lori: I know why you say I am getting the message, why did it take my friend 6 months to start hearing it? What was different between her and me?

Ronny: The magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device, magicTalk or magicJack APP allows you to receive for free incoming calls using the phone number you have chosen. If you choose outgoing service, the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device, magicTalk or magicJack APP allows you to make free outgoing calls to other magicJack/magicJack Plus/magicTalk/magicJack APP users located anywhere in the world, and to subscribers on traditional telephone networks or cellular networks in the United States and Canada. We may require prepaid purchase and/or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain high cost calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier. We may provide for a fee, premium prepaid services, which may be powered by YMAX Communications Corp. (YMAX), and may include some inbound, international, conference, platform and outbound calls that receive a recording and certain calls to high cost areas, and the rates for those services will be governed by listed price lists or tariffs. Charges may apply to use the call forwarding feature, if available. International calling purchases expire six months after purchase. magicJack, YMAX Communications Corp. (YMAX), and/or Vocal Tec may make available to you, for an additional fee, enhanced versions of the magicJack and/or magicJack Plus device, magicTalk or magicJack APP Associated Software (Upgraded Software) that provide new features and functions. magicJack APP has a Basic plan which is free and a Preferred plan which is not. magicJack APP Basic provides you with a software license that enables calls to other magicJack and magicJack APP users around the world and other certain calls while magicJack APP Preferred, which is available for some downloaded products, also provides you with a server access license.

Lori: you still haven't explained the 6 month difference.

Ronny: no

Ronny: it will only depends on it

Lori: so what is the explanaition?

Ronny: if you will only hear a recording message

Lori: for 6 months after i got the message, she could still call the number and get through for free. WHY?

Ronny: One moment please... (5 minute wait)

Ronny: Thank you for waiting.

Ronny: what is the number of your friend?

Lori: I believe it is: 505-***-****

Ronny: Please wait while I check that for you

Ronny: Thank you for waiting. can you call this number (505) ***-*** without any problem?

Lori: yes. we've talked several times using our magic jacks.

Ronny: that was before?

Lori: and after.

Ronny: okay thanks

Lori: she can't call me on my landline since it is a local number and her magic jack won't allow her,

Ronny: is she a magicjack user?

Lori: yes she is. she doesn't have a landline, only a magic jack.

Ronny: and she's calling your magicjack number ?>

Ronny: I see

Lori: she has in the past.

Ronny: so she is calling using magicjack and she's calling your non magicjack number?

Lori: she tried that, but couldn't get through. so we talk using the magic jack.

Ronny: she heard recording message regarding about prepaid minutes?

Lori: we don't talk this way often, but when we do, we use the magic jack

Lori: I don't know what she heard when she called my landline. she just said she couldn't get through.

Ronny: can you call your friend and ask her if she hears a recording message when she tries to call your non magicjack number?

Lori: when I started getting the recording about prepaid minutes, i asked her if she was having any problem and she said no.

Lori: I can call and see if she is home.

Ronny: yes please

Lori: she isn't answering right now.

Ronny: I see

Ronny: we will need to check her magicjack before we can able to do resolution Lori.

Lori: I think she said she couldn't get through because my number was local to where she was callling from.

Lori: so in other words, it was just a fluke that she could reach Azure Standard for 6 months after I couldn't?

Ronny: no she must have to be able to call your number but if there is a recording message we must have to know the details she heard

Lori: why would her calling me have anything to do with either of us calling Azure Standard?

Ronny: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Ronny: One moment please... (another 5 minute wait)

Ronny: can you clarify that please'

Lori: My friend can call me on the magic jack. She cannot call me on my landline. I couldn't/can't call Azure Standard on my magic jack. she could call Azure Standard on her magic jack. Now, neither one of us can reach Azure Standard on our magic jacks. what does her calling/not calling me have to do with her being able to call Azure Standard for free when I couldn't?

Ronny: what is the exact recording message you heard when calling to azure?

Lori: That I have to buy minutes when calling conference lines, platforms and THIS NUMBER.

Lori: I heard this recording for 6 months before my friend started hearing it.

Ronny: okay please be informed that in the In the Terms of Service: magicjack.com/tos that you have agreed during registration : Agreement Number 4. What Is Free and What is Not:

Lori: yes, I already got that...but why me and not my friend???????

Ronny: Agreement Number 4. What Is Free and What is Not:

Lori: WHY ME AND NOT MY FRIEND WHO LIVES 5 MILES AWAY FROM ME?????

Ronny: Lori did you read the information?

Lori: yes I did.

Lori: Is the prepaid requirement applied uniformly or randomly???

Ronny: the prepaid minutes can only be applied if you heard a recording message that needs a ipp

Lori: is the message given randomly or uniformly to people calling that particular number.

Ronny: it depends Lori

Lori: so every 5th person will get it, but callers 1-4 won't?

Ronny: i cannot give you exact informations with that

Lori: no, i'm pretty sure by now that you can't give me any exact information.

Ronny: i understand you

Lori: this isn't the first time I've gone through this. the last time, it took 3 people and 2 days to find and fix the problem...and it didn't cost any money to do so.

Ronny: i understand you. but this issue is fixable if you will purchase a minutes

Lori: but why should I have to? I used to call this number all the time. I was the local rep for Azure Standard and I called it several times a month for months...all for free. And then one day, I was told I'd have to start paying if i wanted to call again. They didn't change location or their phone number. Nothing at all changed on their end. so why should I have to pay $10 to make a 2 minute phone call to straighten out a mixed up order?

Ronny: that is why you heard the recording message

Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat