Pnc - Phony pending withdrawals

Posted on Thursday, August 1st, 2013 at 4:18pm CDT by Max S.

Company: Pnc

Location: 623 euclid ave
CLEVELAND, OH, 44114, US

URL: Pnc.com

Category: Business, Finances

On a monday evening I tried to make a purchase for $114 but only had $90.60 in my checking account. My bank card was declined. When I went home and checked my balance it showed a pending withdrawal for $90.60 even though the transaction was not completed and I left the store without any merchandise. I immediately called the store and was told it would probaly come off the next day.

On Tuesday the pending withdrawal was still there and I called the store and they told me it was the bank's responsibility. I called the bank and the man laughed and said it was the stores fault "they're holding up your money". I called the store corporate office and they also told me it was the bank keeping the pending status on the money.

On Wednesday it was still pending and I called the bank and the store corp. office and again each blamed the other adamantly.

On Thursday I called the bank and explained how each was blaming the other and was told "well its both. The store could take the $90.60 from your account and you could pay the rest in cash". I told him "are you kidding? It's over! It was Monday. I'm not still in the store. The transaction was never completed. I have no merchandise. There isn't even a transaction number because there was no transaction". Then I asked if I had access to use this money while the pending status was in place and while he hesitated I said this is a yes or no question. He said no. I asked if I would have been charged a non sufficient fund charge if I had tried to use the card and he said "well yes, you don't have overdraft protection".

I stated "so pnc can keep this pending status on my money and then not allow me to use it and charge me NSF fees when you know that this transaction is dead"? The Pnc rep stated "do you want me to take the pending status off today?" I asked if he can take it off today, could it have been taken off on Tuesday and again he hesitated until I demanded a yes or no answer. He stated yes it could have been if I had spoken to someone in his department. I stated that this was the same number I had been calling and he told me he was in a special department with authority to take the pending status off and that my call rolled over to his department because the regular department that doesn't have his authority must be really busy. He then said he would take it off and that it would be off on Friday!

This is ridiculous. Can this possibly be legal? It's certainly not ethical.

Sent from my iPad