Haynes - Sale of inferior product

Posted on Friday, July 5th, 2013 at 9:28pm CDT by Matt M.

Product: Sectional sleeper sofa

Company: Haynes

Location: NEWPORT NEWS, VA, US

Category: Furniture

We purchased a sectional sleeper set back in 2010, for approximately $850. Recently we noticed that the lower foot runner board in the front was peeling away from the sleeper sofa. I removed the cushions and found that the front board which is nailed into the side boards and had pulled out. It's not much of a surprise since the side board are made from very cheap looking particle board which was split at most of the places the nails penetrated. I was shocked at how poorly this sofa was assembled and that it has broken after only 3 years of very limited use. My family always sits in the love seat and corner portion as they face the TV.

I contacted Haynes customer service and they referred me to the servicer of their extended warranties since I purchased a 5 year extended warranty. However, the warranty only covers the upholstery, not the structure/frame. I called Haynes' customer service once again and explained the situation all over again since they seem to never record previous conversations and/or add notes to customer accounts. I notified them that I would like to contact the manufacturer to file a complaint and see what they could do for me. The phone number they provided for me was discontinued. Eventually I found out that the manufacturer is out of business. Haynes' would not offer to help me out in any way, even though they sold me an inferior product that they would not stand behind. I would have thought that they could have at least payed for repairs or even given my family store credit. I will continue to notify all of my colleagues and friends about the situation and advise them to steer clear of Haynes. I now only support smaller family run furniture retailers instead. Haynes' has become too large to take the time to solve customer concerns.