Public Works Department - Public Works

Posted on Saturday, April 6th, 2013 at 8:59pm CDT by Patricia C.

Company: Public Works Department

Location: 4200 Leeland
HOUSTON, TX, US

Category: Government, Police

September 2012, Public Works began replacing water lines in my subdivision. On December 21st, I received a generic letter stating that I have a ?constant flow?. A few days later, I received a bill for $945.28.

I contacted Public Works who filed an erroneous report. After not hearing from anyone, I contacted the Mayor?s office. They forwarded my complaint to the PW spokesperson, Joanne Papajohn. She took eight days to finally contact me. Her position is Customer Service, but the only option she ever offered was to run an hourly report. When she forwarded this report to me, she stated that she was ?baffled? because there were days where no water passed through the meter. Meanwhile, I also forwarded to her a plumber?s invoice that stated the leak was not on our side. She disregarded this report.

Despite the fact that Ms. Papajohn has never been out to my property, she stated on four different occasions that it was either my swimming pool, automatic sprinkler or someone was siphoning the water. I repeatedly said this is not the case. Besides this hourly report, she failed to provide any solutions. I had to research about flow meter tests, water bench tests, administrative investigation and administrative hearing on my own. These options were never presented to me by her.

I requested an administrative hearing and had to wait seven weeks for this hearing. I had to have the Mayor?s office and my Councilperson?s office intervene on my behalf.

We arranged a water bench test and received a new meter. Since this new meter, our consumption has been between 140-330 gallons per day. If I had had a leak, my consumption would not have gone down.

Throughout this whole process, Ms. Papajohn has sent me legal correspondence with the wrong dates, year, phone numbers and salutation. I have four copies of the legal correspondence that state that my administrative hearing is scheduled March 23rd when it occurred on March 28th. As slow as PW operates, I find it difficult that the outcome of my administrative hearing was determined on March 28th. I received numerous legal documents with the outcome of this hearing that were all dated February 21st.

PW requires now that I pay sixty percent of this bill -- $1100.00. This amount is not feasible because it does include the charges for the water bench test, the administrative hearing and current charges. I need assistance to negotiate a payment plan that is more favorable.

Jennifer B., 2013-07-04, 07:43PM CDT

I have an enormous complaint to post, and, hopefully, somebody, or agency, or lawyer out there will pay attention to what I am going through, and be able to at least attempt to offer a solution, or make a valid attempt to help in finding a fair and just, solution. My complaint is the following situation: My 7 year old son, who suffers from chronic athsma, along with many seasonal and environmental allergies which tend to agrivate it. Myself, I his single mother, suffer from emphasyma, as well, as many allergies. We, myself along with my 7 year old son, have lived in the same apartment for the past 7 years. For the past 5 years, the fan in the bathroom ceased to function, whatsoever, causing an enormous amount of CANCER CAUSING BLACK MOLD TO BUILD UP IN THE BATHROOM on the ceiling and on the walls. My brother, being a fire marshal for the Renfrew County and District area, who is currently stationed at A.E.C.L. Canada in Chalk River, happens to be highly trained in the field of diagnosing this as well as numerous other types of DANGEROUS, and DEADLY cancer causing molds in residences, made the landlord, his wife, and his son aware of the deadly mold that was festering, and growing each day in the apartment that I and my little boy, both already with terrible respiratory afflictions, that have erupted, only in the past 5 years time, continue to reside. The landlord, however, happens to be the grandfather of my little boy. I'm sure you can see how this situation has dragged on for so long, without remedy. I recently told the landlord, who is the grandfather to my only child, my 7 year old son, that I couldn't put up with the state of repair of the bathroom any longer, along with a couple of other greivances, including the fact that The door separating My rental Apartment, from my landlords Home, is an INTERIOR DOOR, the same kind as on one of the bedrooms, and, that I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD ANY TYPE OF LOCKING MECHANISM ATTACHED EVEN TO THE HOLLOW PARTICLE BOARD, CHEAP AS THEY COME MODEL OF an INTERIOR door with absolutely ZERO PRIVACY(sound-wise) or ZERO SECURITY9locking mechanism-wise) either since I have lived here....which is just shortly after My son was born that We moved into his grandfathers apartment, attached to the back of his home. I have had NUMEROUS EXPENSIVE ELECTRONIC DEVICES, along with jewellery, go missing, in this time, as well as have had the respiratory health of my little boy, as well as myself, continue to decline each year. Now, after having grown tired of arguing with the grandfather of my boy, about the state of the premises in which I have been paying a very high amount of RENT monthly for the past 7 years without so much as a mere paintjob, paid for by the landlord, having been agreed upon, and authorised, let alone, the repairs to the bathroom been agreed upon or authorised either. I became so frustrated, that after threatening the landlord (my childs grandfather) that I was planning on calling the REGIE DE LODGEMENT DE QUEBEC, along with the REGIE DES RENTS DE QUEBEC, My landlord became ENRAGED by this threatened action by myself, and Immediately Gave Me AN EVICTIONNOTICE TO VACATE THE PREMISES WITHIN 30 DAYS DUE TO HE HAS THE NERVE TO CLAIM...('NON-PAYMENT OF RENT") For more than 2 years prior....However, Ive got rent receits from him proving that I have ALWAYS PAID MY RENT, even in the state of constant BAD_REPAIR! The rent being a ridiculous $500.00 per month plus the cost of wood heating in the wintertime! Now, I had no choice but to find and pay for the rent at another location here in Fort-Coulonge, as well as pay the rent for this rental unit on the first of the month. I am a single mother, on social assistance. I receive exactly $504.00 per month, and have two months ago been cut-off and declined to nolonger receive any Government funded BABYBONUS checks. The father of my son gives me $100.00 every 2 weeks for food. Now...I have no vehicle, but have to pay a moving company to move m sons things, as well as our household things to our new apartment that is not heat, nor, hydro included.....Somebody, Please HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!