Costco Corporation - Poor customer service

Posted on Tuesday, March 26th, 2013 at 2:36pm CDT by Lu S.

Product: Samsung 55" Smart TV

Company: Costco Corporation

Category: TV, Music, Video

I would like to take this opportunity to explain my frustration with your company and your customer service departments.

On March 9, 2013 my husband discovered a whole in our 55? screen LCD Smart TV purchased at Costco, Nanuet, NY on July 12, 2012. Upon arriving home with the large screen TV there were no noticeable marks on the screen. While my husband was home recuperating from a knee replacement surgery and shut the TV off to rest, he noticed in the left hand corner of the screen (when looking at the TV) a hole. The hole to us looks like someone might have dug into the screen or something from the LCD TV has melted a hole. We don?t have any pets or small children at home who might do something like this to the screen.

We notified Costco concierge services the morning of March 9th and they seemed to be very helpful and explained to us being our TV is less than one year old they would refer us directly to Samsung. After speaking with the Samsung representative who at the time seem pretty helpful at the time. This representative had asked us to take photographs of the damage and provided us with a website to forward them to. The Costco representative had explained he would be calling back on March 23rd to see how the progress was going and what was going to be done to the TV and eliminate the hole in the screen. The afternoon of March 11th I sent the photos to Samsung, it took them one week and returned to me, March 18th with they needed a copy of the bill of sale. So this was forwarded also to them by email. No one had called me back with a reply until I called on March 20th to see what the progress was.

After several calls to Costco and Samsung, Samsung went on to say their panel of engineers reviewed the photographs and determined the damage is physical. How by a photograph was this determined? We would expect someone to come out and examine the hole and then give their evaluation based upon looking at the TV.

Samsung forwarded the email to their vendor who explained this would cost me $1,228 for the part and $225.00 for labor, this TV is still under warranty and why would I be expected to pay this much for the TV when I could purchase another one from another dealer other than Costco or Samsung.

Please contact me upon receipt of this letter and let me know before I take legal actions on this matter and bring it to the BBB to see how this is to be handled moving forward. My contact information is provided below for your reply. We would like to get this resolved as you can see it?s been ongoing for sometime now.