Freedom Steel - Warning! Do Not Buy From Freedom Steel

Location: 110 SE 2nd Street Delray Beach, FL 33444
DELRAY BEACH, FL, 33444, US

URL: www.freedomsteel.com

Category: Building, Construction

I ordered a steel building from Freedom Steel in early 2012. I told the salesman I had to have the building on time because of a short building season in my location. I was promised the blueprints would arrive in 2-3 weeks, the building would arrive in 5-8 weeks, and that it would meet all local and required building codes.

I was told by the salesman that Freedom Steel had favorites and plants in the U.S. I later found out they were brokers, not manufacturers.

Five weeks after I sent Freedom Steel thousands of dollars in deposit, I still did not have the promised blueprints.

Three months later, the blueprints arrived and they were wrong!! Freedom Steel said they would fix the blueprints, if I sent more money, and would also schedule a delivery date.

Against my better judgement, I sent them more money. Now Freedom Steel would not guarantee a delivery date, and I still didn't have corrected drawings.

By this time, I had sent Freedom Steel nearly $20,000, and four months later, finally got blueprints.

The county development office REFUSED the drawings because they didn't meet code and wouldn't issue my building permit.

I found out that Freedom Steel was in Chapter 11 BANKRUPTCY proceedings. Without me paying the full balance of the money for the building, Freedom Steel wouldn't give me a delivery date so I would know if I could put the building up before the ground froze. I requested my money back. Freedom Steel REFUSED. The company said their contract HAD NO PERFORMANCE GUARANTEES!

Meanwhile, Freedom Steel got their lawyer to send me a letter threatening to take me to court if I didn't give them the full balance for the completed building and refused to cancel the contract, despite my sincere lack of confidence that they would ever deliver. And with good reason, because four months later, all I have to show for my almost $20,000 is unuseable blueprints, from a company in bankruptcy.

The Better Business Bureau was no help, and through the process, it became obvious to me that Freedom Steel has been through this before with other unhappy customers and never had any intention of resolving the matter in good faith.

Nine months after first deciding to buy from this company, and some hard negotiating plus consultation with the Florida Attorney General's office, Freedom Steel offered me a small percentage of my money back (under 40% of my deposit). If I hadn't taken the settlement, as the owner of Freedom Steel gloated, and went through the trustee, I might receive 15% of the actual money I had paid over 3 years.

Plus, the company could go out of business at any time and has a list of creditors dozens long.

Total Loss: more than $13,000

Time Lost: An entire year lost, no building.

I have concluded that anyone sending Freedom Steel money runs the risk of

a) not getting a building

b) getting one with missing parts

c) losing their money entirely

d) the company going out of business and leaving them empty-handed

e) seeing a tiny percentage of their money recovered in court, if at all!!!

f) becoming yet another creditor in a long list of people Freedom Steel owes money to (see http://bankrupt.com/misc/flsb12-16984.pdf for a full list of who FREEDOM STEEL owes!)

Business Reply  Freedom Steel, 2013-04-13, 07:09PM CDT

Freedom Steel would like to be case specific on this post because we know exactly who it is:

You purchased a building from Freedom Steel on May 15th, 2012, in which you signed an agreement with Freedom Steel for a steel building delivered to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Because of the complexity of the building and the location of the project, his drawings were received on 6/25/2012. Which he signed off on and said they were correct.

On 7/2/2012 he called in and said that he wanted to change his drawings, we told him we would look into it. On 7/5/2012 we told him that we would re-do his plans, that we normally have to pay to for, because we have to pay the engineer in Alberta to re-stamp the drawings. He then received new drawings on 8/1/2012, we then tried to schedule him for delivery and he said he wanted to cancel.

However Freedom Steel again went above and beyond and told him that we would refund him a certain percentage of his money because of the work already done. Which he agreed too and again signed another agreement. So Freedom Steel refunded him back his deposit and now he is posting negative comments about us.

Freedom Steel doesn?t do business like this nor do we ever intend to do business like this. With over 40 years of experience coupled with the number one customer service department, which we pride ourselves on. We are the leaders in the industry and intend to keep it that way.

3075f63c, 2014-05-08, 10:25PM CDT

?Regretfully, this sounds way too close to home and true to me and my partner, and as it turns out 2 other people that we just met at our grand opening recently. About 3 yrs ago, we bought 2 large buildings from Freedom Steel. This was only the result of my partner having been in contact with their project director in their Del Ray office in Florida for some 5 or 6 years and was very comfortable with his attention to detail and product knowledge and also his ongoing service and follow up over the years. Our issue was never with the rep, although he was the reason for our purchase since he did as we expected him to. Little did we know that once we started the order, their customer service department would take over and our rep would have no control or influence whatsoevr. I even visited their offices during a trip through Florida and all looked very nice and professional. So, to make this short, we moved away from our supplier in the Northwest, although Freedom's pricing was a bit higher, even though more of a complete package which was a great time saver for us. Skipping forward, after several months of delays, some admittedly by our own circumstances, but equally by freedom steel, we finelly received our buildings only to find out tat there was no sign of the doors and insulation we paid for. it took us months and months of dealing with freedom steel trying to get our expensive doors and insulation. After dozens of playing ping pong using calls, messages and emails with Suzanne Adler, Bianca Hackner, and even the CEO Sean Hackner, we were now told that they now wanted almost $20000 more since the price of the doors and insulation "went up" because of "our" delays? WTH? I even sent a private e-mail to Mr Hackner and his sad, boilerplate and unprofessional resopnse abundantly highlighted the source of their problems which I now surmise led to their bankruptcy and chapter 11 filing. It seems to have been cleared up now, but even at gun point, you could not get me to deal with the way they run that outfit. They kept dodging my calls in management. I did reach my sale rep, but he was of no help since he could not get any of the higher up folks to return our queries. Here they are using their staff to develop a nice relationship over several years, and as soon as they get the order, the teeth and claws of their management come out and ruin everything. How sad and wasteful. Unfortunately, all at our cost. Here is a tip from a small businessman to you all: Just go to real manufacturers like Butler, A&S, Nucore or NCI Buildings. God bless. I'm not putting my name or even initials down as I don't want to be potentially harassed by these people. Hope I have helped some of the viewers

3075f63c, 2014-05-08, 10:31PM CDT

stephen r., 2014-10-15, 10:53AM CDT

Thanks for the posts. I had problems with Perry also. He is not very customer friendly. I decieded not to buy from them before I even saw these posts.