Hotwire - unknown charges

Posted on Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 7:23am CST by Priscilla P.

Product: Booking Agency

Company: Hotwire

Category: Online Scams

For my Birthday I went online to get a hotel/resort in Panama City. Found a place (Majestic Beach Resort) and called Hotwire to get best price available. Reserved a 2 night stay for $160.34 and paid for it up front. On the print out of my itinerary it did say there may apply additional fees for incidentals such as parking and phone calls. I didn't worry about these charges because they had free parking and we had our own telephone. When my husband went to check in they requested a credit card and he asked why. They were going to charge for cleaning fee and Damage waiver for a total of $112.57. There was no mention of these kind of fees on my itinerary print out. I called Hotwire-no help. They said maybe that they would waive them. Clerk at Majastic Beach Resort said they knew about charges. I became emotionally upset. We had no choice because if we did not pay the $112.57, we lost the $160.34 already paid Hotwire. This made the 2-day stay cost us $272.91 and it was not worth the price we paid. Plus, there were other places that were better and offered complimentary coffee and beakfast for that price. In the future, I will do my own booking with hotels/resorts. How is a consumer suppose to know if no one tells them about these kinds of hidden charges? We meet 3 other people who had the same thing happen to them at this resort. Who can you trust anymore?