First Data - Bamboozled By First Data? You Are Not Alone.

Posted on Monday, February 4th, 2013 at 1:30pm CST by Steven R

Product: Tele Check

Company: First Data

Location: 5565 Glenridge Connector NE Suite 2000
ATLANTA, GA, 30342, US

URL: www.firstdata.com

Category: Business, Finances

Scammed by First Data? You may not be alone. According to one consumer protection site, over 100 complaints have been logged against First Data with losses totaling almost $350,000. Most complaints seem to revolve around the holding of funds or insufficient disclosure of contract details by salespeople.

In our case, my company signed up for First Data's Tele Check service in 2010: they were to provide merchant account services for our new start-up. This decision has cost us dearly: we've been tricked into a 3-year contract, charged 20-25% of our revenue in monthly fees, and blatantly ignored by Preston Atkinson, our Account Manager.

While I won't repeat the entire complaint here, I'll simply say that we are finished trying to reach a resolution with them and will simply take solace in sharing our story until our contract term expires.

One thing I will share is the terrible service from Preston Atkinson. She gained our trust by acting interested in helping our small business grow. But when we started to have questions about the monthly fees and told her that our copy of the contract did not have any 3-year agreement, she stopped responding. In fact, she ignored several emails, until my coworker sent her an email from another address asking for more information about First Data services. Of course, when a new business opportunity presented itself, Preston responded to her email immediately!

Entrepreneurs beware: there are modern solutions like PayPal and Stripe that may serve you better in the long run.

Search "First Data Reviews" on Google to learn more about their business practices!