Toshiba - Horrible experience with "customer relations"

Posted on Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 at 5:25pm CST by Tabby L.

Product: Toshiba Thrive tablet

Company: Toshiba

Category: Computers, Software

In March 2012 I purchased a Toshiba Thrive tablet with what I thought was a 1-year warranty. Everything worked perfectly and has worked perfectly until now, January 2013. My tablet charger never leaved my bedroom. It stays plugged into the wall by my bookshelf and I plug in my tablet to charge when needed, which is anywhere from every day to once every few days, depending on how often I use it. Last week when unplugging my tablet, the pin that plugs into the tablet from the ac adapter, broke off.

I thought I could just order a new adapted online and get it in a few days, rather than wait the month or more for a replacement from Toshiba. Cut to less than a week later, I get the part I ordered and... it's not the part I ordered. Seller is trouble, I'm working on getting a refund, but that's a different complaint. I realized the safest way to get the appropriate adapter, since after wading through the internet for hours still yielded me a scam, I'd just suck up the wait and get the replacement from Toshiba since I thought I still had time on my warranty.

First person I spoke with, who wouldn't answer any of my questions and was incapable of speaking clearly (I had to ask him to repeat himself several times, since he couldn't form coherent sentences), eventually told me that my specific problem wasn't covered by my warranty and that I'd have to buy a new adapter. I'm upset, obviously, but I need an adapter. He puts me through to "sales"... which is apparently just the toshibadirect.com call line. Not actually freaking Toshiba. I get another person who can barely speak coherently who tells me that the website has no appropriate adapters for me... I ask to actually speak with Toshiba about this and order the part directly and not from an online store but am only told the same thing. She refuses to respond to or even acknowledge that request. I asked it several times and she just kept repeating herself. I had to ask to speak to a supervisor multiple times as well before actually getting to speak to a supervisor.

This is the first person I spoke with who I thought was actually going to be helpful. He had ALL of my information-- model number, name, address, etc. I repeat my problem again, since apparently none of that goes through in transfers. At this point I'm struggling to keep back the tears because I'm getting so incredibly frustrated at speaking to these brick wall robots. This guy addresses my problems, apologizes, and then directs me to acclaim.toshiba.com and explains the process I need to go through to get a replacement, and how it won't cost anything and will arrive in a few weeks, etc.

Everything seems to be going fine until I get to the end where the site says the part is unavailable for replacement. Now I get to speaking with an acclaim customer representative - my FOURTH representative at this point - who has me repeat everything. I gave her the reference number for the last guy I spoke to (only reference number I got by the way), so she has all the information. She then says that no, I don't have a warranty and I have to order the part. Oh, but the part is unavailable. Completely unavailable from Toshiba. Nothing else. She then tells me I'll need to pick it up from a store... except that I had to order the tablet from the internet because no stores near me actually carry Toshiba Thrive ANYTHING. I'd already checked nearby stores before I ordered that scammy adapter!

She says well I'll have to get it online. Try searching for the right adapter online, it's just about impossible because of all the scams. I spent hours researching sellers and parts and I still got a scammy part. But she has no recommendations. Nothing. I can't get a replacement, I can't order the part. I'm in actual tears by this point, having gone through this ridiculously frustrating experience.

In short: I'm transferred multiple times because nobody will speak clearly or answer questions, I'm told one thing and then told the opposite thing, I'm told to buy a product from them that isn't even available, and then told, basically, that I'm SOL. For a product that isn't even two years on the market or one year in my care.

Just another reminder to never buy anything Toshiba ever again. I should've known better honestly, after all the horrible things I went through with a Toshiba Satellite laptop several years ago. No change in customer service.