Liebherr - Design defect

Posted on Friday, January 11th, 2013 at 12:22pm CST by David O.

Product: CS1660

Company: Liebherr

URL: http://www.liebherr.us/HGH/en-GB/default_us-hg.wfw

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

I purchased a brand new Liebherr refrigerator Model CS1660 on 25 Nov 2011 and in less than a year the refrigerator handle broke off under normal use. They replaced the handle right away at no cost to me. 27 Dec 2012 the freezer handle broke off indicating to me that there is a problem with the design/materials used in constructing the handle mechanism. I once again contacted Liebherr to inform them of the broken freezer handle. I also indicated that I believe it is a manufacturing defect and that if it happens again I would like a comparable refrigerator with a different handle design.

Liebherr agreed to send out a new handle but said they would not replace the refrigerator even though it has a manufacturing defect. I asked the rep to look at the issue from the lemon law perspective and they stated that even with cars they do not replace your vehicle if it is a lemon. In speaking with the rep at Liebherr I got the impression that Liebherr does not care about customer service, quality, or taking feedback to improve their manufacturing processes. The rep said they would not have some one come out to look and the refigerator to see what's going on or to see if there is a defect that could be fixed either by changing materials or making changes to the manufacturing process. They would rather continue sending out replacement handles than to fix the problem. The rep said we are not going to change our manufacturing processes for a handle; "it's just a handle".

They take the band-aid approach to fixing the real issue, and I do not like that or like dealing companies that do business like that. I hope millions of people read this and that is has a long term affect on their bottom dollar. They need to understand the power of the Internet, and that they cannot just treat customers any way they feel.

I am a certified quality professional and I am very familiar with quality, listening to the customer, etc. At first I used to recommend Liebherr, but now I will never recommend them based on their customer approach, I.e., lack customer focus. They do not understand the concept of no customers = no business and in this day in time who can afford to lose existing customers as well as potential new customers based on poor non-caring representatives. They are a reflection/extension of the organization as a whole.

B D., 2013-03-10, 12:32PM CDT

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Very very very frustrating!!! Its less than a year old!

d89422ea, 2013-09-05, 10:29PM CDT

Our main fridge door handle has just broken off - the third one in 3 years ! Clearly a design fault.

b9b88f13, 2014-01-28, 06:22AM CST

Same issue here. Handles crack and break. Has just happened for the third time and their customer service is beyond rude.

Bruce W., 2014-03-24, 03:49PM CDT

same thing happened to me and the refrigerator is under 2 1/2 years old. They were not nice about it . They told me they were doing me a courtesy by sending me a handle. I remarked that this is a known issue and Liebherr should be paying for the handle to be put on. I am looking into seeing if my extended warranty will cover putting the replacement handle on. I am sure I will have to pay out of pocket. I cannot figure out why a company would continue to sell a product that they know had defective plastic in it. I am planning on telling the contractor who recommended this product to stop buying it.

David O., 2014-03-24, 09:43PM CDT

Liebherr has acknowledge defects in their door attachments as noted on their website. You can click the following link to learn more. Their customer services still sucks, and they should have recognized the malfunction when I brought it to their attention in 2011. Here is the link: http://www.liebherr.us/HGH/en-GB/123024.wfw

Natalie, 2014-03-27, 11:22AM CDT

I have the exact same problem. I am in Belgium and they tell me the only solution is for my to buy a new handle (the whole thing, not just the plastic attachments) at a cost of EUR 70. I am desperate.