Delta Faucet - Delta Faucet Company Negligent

Location: 55 E. 111th Street
INDIANAPOLIS, 46280, US

URL: www.deltafaucet.com

Category: Home, Garden

I bought a new Delta Foundations Kitchen Faucet (Model 10901LF) from Lowe's Home Improvement store on December 11, 2012. This model has a side sprayer.

Immediately after installation, I heard an unusual thumping sound when the water was turned on in the faucet (not even using the sprayer). I didn't know what to make of the noise.

Upon registering my faucet on Delta's website, I saw several other reviews of this same model with the "thumping sound" complaint coming from new, out-of-the-box faucets.

Apparently, there is a diverter valve defect causing the thumping sound that Delta was aware of but sold the units anyway - leaving the consumer to worry with the replacement of the diverter valve.

While it's true that Delta will send a new valve at no cost, the consumer is left to pay the expense of having the new valve installed!

I paid a professional plumber to install the faucet. Now, I need to pay for another plumber visit to install a new valve that may or may not work!

I am angry with Delta Faucet for this negligent unconcern for consumers, and felt it necessary to warn future buyers about their faucets. Plumbers aren't cheap, and neither are Delta's faucets!

78ed9d0b, 2013-01-15, 04:22PM CST

As an update, below is the reply I received from Delta Faucets regarding the thumping noise coming from my new, out-of-the-box faucet. How many people unskilled in plumbing issues would be willing to tackle this solution?

Would any plumbers be willing to comment on this solution from Delta? Is it accurately identifying the problem? The noise is not in my pipes but the faucet unit itself.

"Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your newly installed Model 10901LF. What is occurring is called water hammering, which is caused by air and/or debris in the lines. This is not necessarily a common issue, but can occur due to fine particles falling into the water lines after the removal of an older unit.

When a new unit is installed, those fine particles can come into the new unit, along with any extra air in the lines, and get lodged in the unit. To clear the unit of debris and air, you will want to flush the lines. Once flushed, the water hammering, or thumping, will stop and your unit will function as designed.

Flushing means, after the water is turned off, remove handle and all internal parts. Place a bucket over the open valve, where the parts used to be, and turn the water supplies back on, full strength for 30-45 seconds. After the allotted time, turn water off and put back all parts/handle. Repeat with both handles.

After reassembling the handle valves, remove the spout and diverter (if you have a side sprayer). Then, placing a bucket over that valve, turn on the water full strength for 30-45 seconds to clear out that valve. After the allotted time, turn water off and put back diverter and all spout parts.

Since the issue is being caused by the water itself, it would not be considered a manufacturer's defect; however, as a one time courtesy, I am more than happy to send out a new diverter at no cost to you. If you would like to receive this part, please reply back with your full name, complete street address and telephone number.

To help with the flushing and/or replacement of the part, we also staff technicians Monday through Saturday, 7am to 9pm CST. Feel free to call our office at 1.800.345.3358, should you need any help. We are happy to stay on the line with you during this process.

Please contact us back if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Patricia

Consumer Response Representative"

78ed9d0b, 2013-01-17, 04:32PM CST

As a 2nd update, below is my reply to Delta Faucet's response for their remedy to the problem:

Dear Patricia,

I am insulted by the routine form letter with which you answered my complaint! This scripted reply tells me that Delta has had MANY similar complaints about their faucets; otherwise, there would be no need to create a form letter to reply.

First of all, you don't know if I'm a man or woman.

Second, you give a generic process that doesn't even fit my faucet model.

Third, if I could do what you describe, I WOULD NOT HAVE NEEDED A PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER TO INSTALL THE FAUCET!

Fourth, WHAT AN INSULT TO SUGGEST I COULD HAVE A SERVICE TECH TALK ME THROUGH THE STEPS OVER THE PHONE!

Fifth, the thumping is NOT in the water lines - it's in the faucet itself, so it is not water hammering causing the noise! It is a faulty part in the faucet itself that Delta has allowed to continue to exist.

Again, Delta has been negligent to its consumers, and I need you to pay for a professional plumber to fix the problem that you have refused to fix in the factory!

Jennifer B., 2013-04-10, 10:35PM CDT

Luckily, I have never ever been the same situation. All the faucets in our house always works so well. none problem now. and I have done all 'do-it-myself' installation. great enjoy smart faucets!!!