Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. - ECE | Wrong Equivalence

Posted on Thursday, January 10th, 2013 at 3:56pm CST by 7a2e414d

Product: Foreign Educational Credential Evaluation

Company: Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.

Location: PO Box 514070
MILWAUKEE, WI, 53203-3470, US

URL: www.ece.org

Category: Education

I requested an evaluation for two master degrees, one from England and one from Spain. The one from England got the US equivalence of a master's degree; however, the one from Spain got the equivalence of a bachelor's degree. ECE argues that the equivalence for the one from Spain is based on the entry requirement for the program, which they wrongly assume is a three-year degree. Interestingly, in England the entry requirement for a master's program is a First Class Honours degree which is a three-year degree; not in Spain, where a four-year 240 ECTS credits Grado (the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree) is required. I contacted the Center for Postgraduate Studies and the Legal Adviser Office of the University. They wrote several emails on my behalf and sent several official legal documents from the Ministry of Education of Spain. They all agree that the entry requirement is a four-year 240 european credits' Grado. ECE insists that their equivalence is correct.

Recently, the President of ECE contacted me backing up the decision of the her two Senior Evaluators.

I had explicitly asked for answers that ECE has not yet provided and that I am entitled to have. ECE should explain the reason the one year MA from Northumbria is considered a MA in spite of the fact that the entry requirement is a three-year degree. I cannot help but think that by avoiding to answer this question for the fifth time, ECE is covering the arbitrary nature of their equivalence. One set of criteria for one degree; for the other degree, another.

The other question is in regards to the four-year Grado which is quite clear from the Ministry of Education of Spain is a four-year degree and which ECE has challenged with the equivalence. Perhaps, by avoiding the recognition of official papers as proof for my case, ECE can cover up a gap between the assumptions made about the educational systems of other countries and the realities.

I insist their equivalence of my master's degree from Spain is wrong and that it should be revised.