Gillece Services - Price Gouging

Posted on Saturday, June 9th, 2012 at 8:11am CDT by 77e29d43

Product: Plumbing Repair

Company: Gillece Services

Location: Pittsburgh, PA, US

We had a separated pipe in the basement. The drywall had been removed and we attempted but were unsuccessful in getting it to glue back together. Our water was off, and we called Gillece at 10:30 at night. They returned the call at 6:30 the next morning and said the technician would be out between 8 and 12. He doesn't arrive until 3, and then quotes me a price of $600!! and won't guarantee the work until he is able to check the water pressure, which couldn't be done until the repair was made. An additional cost would have been charged if the pressure needed to be fixed so the guarantee would be granted. I also asked him to quote me a price on a leaking garbage disposal. Price for both the downstairs repair and garbage disposal -- $2600!!! I refused the repairs and had to pay a $65 fee for him to make the visit. We were able to get another plumber that evening who made the repair with Pex and couplers (Gillece repair would have been PVC and glue) for $200. Plus, he noticed that both shut off valves on the water heater were left off by the Gillece tech which could have caused the heater to blow from the built-up pressure.