Sears - Sears Craftsman self-propelled push mower

Posted on Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 at 8:15am CDT by 4d468b40

Product: Craftsman self propelled lawnmower, model 917.376536

Company: Sears

Location: New Hartford, NY, 13413, US

Last year, my 23 year old John Deere riding lawn mower died so I bought a Craftsman self propelled mower to mow my 1 acre lawn. I got the best one available with an electric start, model 917.376536. I even bought the extended warranty. It was the worst summer I ever had. This was my first self propelled mower so I didn't know what to expect, but I did expect it to at least propel itself. It worked marginally on a flat surface, but not in grass. It was just like using my little Murray push mower. I returned it to Sears and received a new one, but the replacement didn't work any better. So I thought that was just how they should work. I'm on disability and had a lot of back pain due to pushing this mower. I went back to Sears a few times to ask for advice - I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. But the salesman said that's how it's supposed to work on a hilly lawn. They acted like I didn't know what I was talking about on the mower's performance.

After that summer from hell with this mower, I talked to a lot of mower sales people at Home Depot, Lowes, etc and they assured me that a SP mower should work a lot better than the Craftsman I had, so even though I could ill afford another new mower, I bought a reconditioned Toro SP mower and was flabbergasted at how well it worked! It actually propelled! It has allowed me to mow my lawn in minimal pain. I periodically used the Craftsman to do some small areas, but then the self-propel mechanism stopped altogether. Since it was still under warrantee I returned it for service. Three weeks later, I picked it up and used it on my lawn. I couldn't believe how well it worked! So there was something definitely wrong with it when it was new, and with the original one!

Sears should really have a better quality control on their new mowers and not allow shoddy mowers out of the shop. I think their repair center should be in charge of making sure the new ones work the way they're supposed to, because they fixed it so that it actually worked.

This isn't good for Sears' reputation. For the past year I have been talking to a lot of people asking how their SP mowers work. And I would tell them how terrible mine worked and how disappointed I was with the Craftsman, and that I would never buy another one and wouldn't ever recommend one to anybody. This mower situation has caused me a lot of stress and I'd hate for anyone else to have to go through what I went through.

I wrote to Sears headquarters with my complaint, but they didn't even acknowledge me.

JH