Sears - Sears Won't Honor Appliance Protection Plan

Posted on Thursday, June 28th, 2012 at 9:04pm CDT by 924ddbe4

Product: Refrigerator Protection Plan

Company: Sears

About 18 months ago, I called GE to repair my GE Monogram side by side refrigerator and freezer on warranty and they contracted the work to Sears. Sears made the repairs and in August 2011 called me, identified the unit and solicited me to purchase an extended warranty protection plan which I purchased.

Subsequently, the unit needed repair and we called Sears to schedule the repair. Sears acknowledged the warranty plan and sent a repairman to our house to repair the unit. The repairman then took the position that the unit was not qualified for the warranty plan because of the model type and because the unit was more than 10 years old. Of course Sears new the model type when they solicited me for the warranty. Additionally, the unit is not 10 years old and we showed the repairman the manufactured year of 2005 on the unit. He didn't care and left without repairing the unit. He wouldn't even repair it when we said we would pay for the repair and then argue about the bill later.

When I called Sears to inquire about this matter, they told me that they had cancelled the warranty and would refund the cost of the protection plan.

So, apparently what Sears does is they take your payment for the warranty and then if you call them for a repair, instead of fixing the money they just give you the money back for the protection plan.

This is like buying collision insurance for your car and then getting in accident and having the insurance company return your premium rather than repair the car.

And here is the irony in this. When we called GE to schedule the repair, they contracted the repair to Sears!

Beware of the ripoff by Sears.