The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler - Lack of care from Family Health Clinic at Riter Center, at The University of Texas Health Science Center

Posted on Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 at 4:47pm CDT by 4bbd3842

Company: The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler

Location: 11937 US Hwy 271
TYLER, TX, 75708, US

URL: http://www.uthct.edu/default.asp

Category: Education

Lack of care from Family Health Clinic at Riter Center, at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler. More specifically, Dr. Jeremy Dickerson. I visited with Dr. Dickerson on June 13th with severe upper abdomen pain from what may be pancreatitis, could be an ulcer so he ordered blood work which I promptly had done the same day. I was a returning patient with Kidney Disease and needed refills on blood pressure, pain and anxiety medications along with evaluation and care for acute upper abdomen pain. Dr. Dickerson asked many questions about my health history and the nurse took thorough notes. I brought in previous records along with CT scan on disk. I also mentioned that I had been seeing Dr. Gipson in the same clinic and he could find my records in their system. I went immediately to the Lab to have blood work and a urinalysis. The following week after not hearing from the clinic with my blood work results, I called to get them. I was told that the nurse would call me as soon as possible. I called for 3 days and didn't hear back. After 6 days I returned to the clinic in person to retrieve my results and find out if there was a hold up on my records. The nurse explained to me that my blood work was normal but they hadn't originally ordered blood tests for pancreatitis, simply a regular work-up and that I would need to schedule further blood tests. She also let me know that she had not received my records and it probably wouldn't do any good to call my previous Doctors to ask that they send my records as soon as possible. I immediately left the office extremely upset and in severe pain from the throbbing in my gut. I called my previous Doctors and they assured me that my records had been faxed only the second day after being requested. So I immediately called the nurse once again to let here know my records were indeed there, yet I heard nothing back. I am a patient with no medical insurance and I pay cash to see the Doctor. Yet The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler has not provided any care for my health concerns. I consistently feel ashamed for having chronic health problems and afraid to come forward and tell anyone. I am a human being with a chronic illness and yet I can't get any medical, much-less good medical care at this facility. I have seen Doctors here for over 3 years and it just gets worse every time I am seen here. Being out of work with no insurance is a challenge in and of itself. Being treated like I don't count is much worse. Shame on you Dr. Dickerson and shame on The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler for condoning such behavior from your interns.

I would like to be treated as a patient just like any other and not made to feel as if just because I have no insurance, I must not be sick. I paid for my Doctor visit and labs in cash and still have no idea what's wrong with me.