United Airlines - Their problem was 100% my problem

Posted on Sunday, June 10th, 2012 at 10:26pm CDT by cdc2b8ea

Company: Not Available

Location: CA

In May, we flew from Canada to San Francisco. To the best of my knowledge, we are not allowed in the country without a return flight leaving the USA???

Four days later, went to checkin for the flight from San Francisco back to Canada. United airlines said my ticket was fine, but my wife's was booked but not ticketed. I asked what does that mean? They waved their hand in the direction of a customer courtesy phone and said I have to phone Air Canada, it is not United's fault, this is my problem and I have to correct it.

To make a long story short, after getting nowhere for 2 3/4 hour, United Airlines put us both on another flight back to Canada 27 hours later.

I asked about a hotel. They gave us information for discount "United Airline Problem" hotels. Said I could stay 15 minutes from the airport with free shuttle. I phoned, only one hotel was available and it was 40 minutes away, I would have to pay cab fare.

27 hours later, a hotel, and meals expenses later, plus one more vacation day for both my wife and I, and daycare for our children that were being taken care of, we flew home.

Many days later, I got an email from United saying sorry, they have a known problem with the merger of Continental and United and bookings, and they admitted fault. A voucher would be coming in email a few days later. A few days later, I got a voucher for $100 for each of us, on a United Airlines flight in the future.

$100??? what is that? United screwed up, made us fend for ourselves because it was "our" problem, put us on a flight 27 hours later, we had expenses, and then later United admits it is their fault and offers us $100 towards a flight on their airline so we can experience their service again?

Obviously they don't want my company's business in the future