Needles and Shears - Shoddy Slipcover

Company: Needles and Shears

Location: 6051 Business Center Court, Suite 4-8189
San Diego, CA, 92154, US

URL: http://www.needleandshears.com

I have purchased several slipcovers from this company, and other than a long delay in shipping for one of them, the quality has been fine...until now. The most recent slipcover I bought was made of denim, which I purposefully ordered with a loose fit to compensate for any shrinkage after washing. The cover looked fine when I got it and fit my sofa loosely, so I was happy, When it came time to wash it, I used cold water and allowed the cover to air dry (no mean feat, since I do not have a clothesline, I had to drape it over my dining table.) To my horror, the texture of the denim changed from smooth to rough, like hop sacking, and the cover had shrunk by 25%!! (see photo.) I could no longer put it on my sofa! When I called/wrote the company seeking help, I was told that I could send the cover back at my own expense and they would rework it (@ $30 and hour) using the same shoddy denim they used for the original!! I, of course, declined their ridiculous offer. I could never get them to address the issue of the substandard fabric they used. I surmise it is some cheap, low thread count stuff (probably from China) they bought to cut costs that is completely inappropriate for slipcovers, which, of course, must be washed from time to time. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY! They do not stand behind their products. They used to be a great resource. Now they're devolved into just another bunch of crooks.

b864015e, 2012-07-25, 10:50AM CDT

Beatrice Emerman of Pasadena, California ordered a slipcover in buffalo denim natural with a loose shabby chic fit. SHE RECEIVED THE SLIPCOVER IN DECEMBER OF 2011. This was the third order that she has placed with us for a total of four slipcovers and we received an email following the receipt of the slipcover stating the following: The slipcover looks GREAT! A little loose that's what we were aiming for. It's kind of nice and relaxed with a shabby chic vibe and there will be some wiggle room for shrinkage after washing. Thanks again, and I'll be in touch when my other sofa cover needs replacing.

The fabric we used for her slipcover is purchased from an American mill that is over 100 years old and supplies fabric to some of the largest retailers in the country. We have purchased thousands of yards of this fabric and shipped thousands of slipcovers using this same fabric to many satisfied customers over the years. Real customer reviews can be read on our site.

Upon hearing about her mishap we offered to restore the slipcover to its original sizing for the cost of fabric and labor alone. Most people understand that if you purchase a product from a retailer, USE IT FOR OVER SEVEN MONTHS and ruin it you cannot go back to the retailer and expect them to replace it for free. Why does she think that by posting this on the web she can get what she wants at no cost?

We believe in free speech and she is free to say whatever she wants, wherever she wants but, we also believe that if you are going to make these types of public statements you should not have the right to hide behind anonymity. That's why it is our policy to respond to this type of post with the person's full name.

b864015e, 2012-07-25, 11:03AM CDT

Seven months ago, in December of 2011, Beatrice Emerman of Pasadena, California received a custom fitted slipcover in buffalo denim natural with a loose shabby chic fit. This was the third order that she has placed with us for a total of four slipcovers and we received an email following the receipt of the slipcover stating the following: "The slipcover looks GREAT! A little loose that's what we were aiming for. It's kind of nice and relaxed with a shabby chic vibe and there will be some wiggle room for shrinkage after washing. Thanks again, and I'll be in touch when my other sofa cover needs replacing."