Whirlpool Corp. - KitchenAid Does Not Honor Warranties!! Customer Service FAIL!!!

Posted on Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 at 11:07am CST by e16f059c

Product: Dual Fuel Double Oven

Company: Whirlpool Corp.

Location: Benton Harbor, MI, US

URL: http://www.kitchenaid.com/

I purchased all new KitchenAid Architect/Superba appliances in late Fall 2011 for my new home. Included in the purchase was a Dual Fuel Double Oven. The upper oven is approximately 1/4 the size of the lower and is only used for baking pies, cookies, breads, etc. On average, I use the upper oven 1-2 times per week, and always at temperatures less than 400 degrees. I have never used the cleaning cycle option. Approximately two weeks ago while baking cookies at 325 degrees, I heard several loud pops coming from the upper oven. I opened the oven and noticed several shards of the blue porcelain interior on the bottom of the oven and, unfortunately, in my cookies. Upon inspection, the blue porcelain interior bottom had a 1 1/2 inch crack toward the front of the oven. I contacted KitchenAid, as the oven is only a few months old and still under warranty. A service call was scheduled after many unanswered questions. A few days later, the repair man arrived at my home unprepared (his camera and cell phone battery were both dead - I know, how could this happen at 10 am?) He inspected the oven and advised that this issue was not repairable. While running his finger over the damaged area, he chipped off another large piece of blue porcelain. He ended up using our digital camera to take pictures and emailed them to his office. A week passed and I finally called KitchenAid. The person with whom I spoke was neither friendly nor helpful and told me they had no record that a repair man had actually visited my home. After asking about their procedures for warranty service calls and why the company that they used did not follow protocol, I was advised repeatedly that I had to "take it up with the repair man" when he came back for a second visit.. In my opinion, this is not my problem to deal with as my hands are tied when it comes to choosing who comes out to do a warranty service call since KitchenAid chooses this for me|. Of course, I was extremely frustrated at this point in the conversation and asked if there was another company that could be used?. They finally set me up with a service call for next week with a different company,. I now know what protocol must be followed for this process; however, I am very unhappy with KitchenAid/Whirlpool customer service and the warranty repair process'. I spent a lot of money on these appliances and one of the reasons I chose the range was due to the blue porcelain interior:. I have read online that other people have had the same issue with the interior cracking and were advised by KitchenAid that it is a cosmetic issue and not covered under the warranty?. In my opinion, if so many people are having this issue, shouldn't the company initiate an investigation into why the blue porcelain is cracking and how to fix it? Seems like a materials or workmanship defect to me.. If you can't use your oven for fear of the interior cracking and spitting shards of porcelain into your food or destroying the appearance, then what is the point of having an oven in the first place? KitchenAid, do the right thing and stand by your products and warranties!!!

f4537dc8, 2012-01-25, 05:09PM CST

KitchenAid Oven - Porcelain Interior Problems

Have a KitchenAid Model KEBS278SSS double wall oven which was installed in late November 2011. The porcelain finish in the oven has several "pops" and areas of flaking resulting in pieces of porcelain scattered throughout the oven and/or food. Kitchenaid says it is a cosmetic issue and does not affect performance of oven. However, shards of porcealin (glass) in food affects my performance! KitchenAid refuses to acknowledge problem and refers to 30 day cosmetic warrantee. Wonder how wide spread this problem is? If you are having a similar problem please post comment.

7ff0b01f, 2012-03-09, 12:21PM CST

I had the same problem--double wall ovens Kitchenaid KEBS278SS04 bought Nov. 2011 and shards of glasslike porcelain breaking off almost immediately. I had the same thing:their repairman and their people saying it is "cosmetic." People should not ingest the bits of glasslike porcelain the convection fans spread on their food. I found recourse through the store who made them take them back. The new set of Kitchenaids did the same thing! I had them removed at Kitchenaid's expense (store again) and got Dacors.

9f2ac61c, 2012-03-22, 09:52AM CDT

Hi. My name is Melanie, and I am a representative from KitchenAid. I apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your oven. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, phone number, reference number 262578A, and we will review your concerns further. Please email the requested information to [email protected] Sincerely, Melanie.